Classic vs. Theater vs. Server - Which do I need?

Wackychimp

Wackychimp

So i've been reading over the site but I'm still not clear on a few things. There's not a lot of explanation that I can find.

I'm running Win7 with WMC in a home theater and have loved MBClassic. MBTheater looks cool but is there any point in me running that if I'm already running Classic? And would I need MBServer if I wanted to stream to a TiVo (is that even possible?) or some other device on my network?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

You need the server in order to use any of our apps, including Classic, Theater, or any of the others. As far as streaming to a Tivo, Media Browser Server has a built-in DLNA server. If tivo supports playing content from dlna servers, then yes it is possible.

Wackychimp

Ok I was thinking that Classic was just a plugin for WMC but maybe I installed the MBServer when I set it up.

Would there be any reason for me to use MBTheater then or is that a stand alone app outside of WMC?

Also looks like I have some homework to do on my TiVo.

Thanks!

MB Classic is a plug-in for WMC.  However, MB Classic is not the old MB 2.x.  That was a single program that ran in WMC.  Classic is a newer version of that plug-in that talks to the server.

You said you were running Classic but, I suspect, what you actually meant was you are running 2.x...?

What is MB and what do I need?

ebr, U guys should really consider renaming MB Classic to something more appropriate... 

I feel it is very appropriate.  it is the Classic interface for MB but attached to the MB 3 server.

In any case, there is no real benefit to renaming it now - especially considering the cost.

Wackychimp

Ok so I AM running 2.6.2.0 ... goood to know.  Thanks!

So is the recommmended set up for someone running WMC to uninstall MB2.6 and then use Classic and Server together?  I don't need Theater, right?

BATTLE DONKEY

MB 2.6 is no longer supported, while it still works, some features may not and it is not compatible with MBServer and it cannot coexist with the newer MBClassic.

If you plan to upgrade I suggest installing MBServer first, configure it and go thru all the settings getting it just the way u want. If u don't have a trait account u can also set which media has been watched/unwatched using MB 2.6 for reference if u need.

Once u have the server up and running the way u want u can go ahead and uninstall MB 2.6 and install MBClassic. It looks like the same plugin for wmc and user interface u were already using but now compatible with MBServer and all the new features.

Spend some time getting it set up how u like it and u will be up and running in no time.

MBTheatre is a work in progress stand alone app, it is stable and supports most of the features of the server already but will continue to be updated to add more. You don't have to use MBTheatre, u can continue using MBClassic if that is the interface u prefer and wish to stay in WMC but it doesn't hurt to try. Theatre can be installed and coexist with MBClassic with no issues, so if u want to try it out n see how it looks and functions ur free to do so, otherwise u can continue using MBClassic instead.

Just remember, the server is essentially the back bone of MB3, its the most important aspect of it and needs to be installed and configured first before installing either MBClassic or MBtheater... Or both if u choose to

• Like 2