Google TV and Emby privacy

mistercoffee
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

mistercoffee

Hello! New Sony Google TV.

I don't want the Google TV OS to track what content is on my Emby server, but I would guess there's no way to ensure that? I mean -- there must be metadata for each video for the app to display it; and Google tends to track everything, so....

Unless the Emby Google TV app itself is sandboxed somehow? Grasping at straws.

Thoughts?

• Solution

Hi.  I don't know exactly what Google is looking at but it is likely that it is just the urls that are called and, since these urls would be local to your server, they would not have any meaning or importance to them.

But, like I said, I don't know that we know exactly what they can or cannot see.

• Thanks 1

FrostByte

You could turn off the channel so your media isn't displayed on the Home Screen.  I'm not aware Google themselves uses that information or any other information to track what you watch

• Thanks 1

CBers
10 hours ago, mistercoffee said:

Hello! New Sony Google TV.

I don't want the Google TV OS to track what content is on my Emby server, but I would guess there's no way to ensure that? I mean -- there must be metadata for each video for the app to display it; and Google tends to track everything, so....

Unless the Emby Google TV app itself is sandboxed somehow? Grasping at straws.

Thoughts?

Sorry, but if you didn't want Google tracking you, why did you buy a Google device 😕

mistercoffee
19 minutes ago, CBers said:

Sorry, but if you didn't want Google tracking you, why did you buy a Google device 😕

Thanks for weighing in. Do you have any knowledge to add about my specific question regarding Emby and Google TV sharing data?

CBers
1 minute ago, mistercoffee said:

Thanks for weighing in. Do you have any knowledge to add about my specific question regarding Emby and Google TV sharing data?

Google will harvest whatever they can access. 

They then do with it what they want, within the terms and conditions you agreed to when opening a Google account and signing in on your Google device. 

Thanks. 

mistercoffee
On 11/27/2021 at 11:19 AM, CBers said:

Google will harvest whatever they can access. 

Ok, trying this one more time: Do you know *what* Google can access from the native Emby app? Again -- I don't need a primer on Google's business practices, I'm asking a technical question. If you don't know the answer, no need to respond. Cheers!

mistercoffee
9 minutes ago, mistercoffee said:

Ok, trying this one more time: Do you know *what* Google can access from the native Emby app? Again -- I don't need a primer on Google's business practices, I'm asking a technical question. If you don't know the answer, no need to respond. Cheers!

[EDIT: please ignore, accepting @ebr's answer as the solution 👍]

@Luke Tagging you on the chance you know the answer -- in brief, what data does the native Google TV Emby app share with the Google TV OS? Not asking what Google does with the data it can get, or anything else about Google policies, just asking from a purely technical perspective what is accessible to the OS vs what is private to the Emby app instance.

Thanks!

Edited by mistercoffee
rescinding this post

CBers
13 minutes ago, mistercoffee said:

They won't know what content you have, if that's what you're asking.

• Like 1