Podcasts needlessly transcoding. How do I stop this?

C17chief

I've searched and searched but I cant find any rhyme or reason to this.

I have the latest stable versions of Media Server and Media Browser Classic. Both are set up on the same machine, with no other remote devices being used.

Anyhow, when trying to stream shows from podcast plugins (Revision3, Twit, etc), the performance is bad as it is automaticly transcoding for some reason. The HTPC is based on a G620 cpu which is perfectly capable of handling anything I throw at it except for these podcasts insisting on transcoding, for as far as I know, no reason what so ever, as the codecs installed handle the native format just fine. My machine can't keep up with the transcoding on auto as I get pegged CPU use and stutter stutter stutter. I could change the auto to low quality and probably make it more fluid...but if WMC/MBC is perfectly able to play the formats natively, why use the extra machine resources and drop the quality so it can transcode for no reason? I don't think it's a format issue as I have taken the exact video/URL used out of the logs, saved the file locally, and it plays just fine in MBC with no transcoding. But again, if I try to stream it, then it transcodes. This is what is making it so hard to find an answer as a lot of what is posted about transcoding is based on either format is wrong for the device thus transcode, or it is right and doesn't transcode. I'm not seeing anything about an exact same file transcoding when played one way but not when played another. Bandwidth is not an issue either.

Anyone have any ideas why the exact same mp4 file would play fine locally with no transcoding, but insist on transcoding when streamed?

Beardyname

Sounds like the podcasts are being downloaded and streamed (this is why i think it transcodes) since the files are not downloaded but streamed bit by bit. aka instead of it downloading the whole file when pressing play and then after it has downloaded all of it (could cause a really really serious delay), it tries to play as soon as we have a few bit's and pieces.

Have you turned on Content downloading? This is an scheduled task that will automatically download the content's from the podcast feed and have it ready for when you want to listen to it.

But then again, I'm totally guessing and it could be something else :)

Of course the disk usage is going to be up there while it downloads as it's playing...and even stuttering and what not if the buffer wasn't very good and a poor connection between my machine and the content existed, but that is not the case. It's def transcoding as well which is killing it. Only difference streamed vs local SHOULD be maybe some initial buffer then playing as normal...but of course stopping and pausing if the content is being played faster then it's coming in. I just don't see where the insistence on also transcoding it is coming in with media server.  

Edited by C17chief

• 2 years later...

The Podcasts plugin has been updated with a new configuration screen to match the look and feel of the rest of Emby Server. I think you'll find it much more enjoyable to use and configure now. Thanks.