Update from 4.4.x lost all settings

NotSure01

NotSure01

Yesterday, I ended up doing a manual install of the latest Emby server (4.6.6.0 x86 for 32-bit CPU - ds415play, still using DSM 6)

I did not try to shut down Emby or remove the custom repository (https://synology.emby.media that no longer works) - it just loaded the manual install and started up.  When I went to the Emby server web page, all of my settings were gone.  It was running the setup wizard to create a new user, add a new library, etc.

I don't completely remember which version I updated from, but I know it was a 4.4.x version - probably 4.4.3.0 if that was the last update on the old custom repo.

Are my settings all gone?  I've been peeking around the file system via ssh and I'm not seeing anything that looks like the older data that I could try to migrate.

Looking around the NAS, all my media is still there, so at least that's good.

I also downloaded the DSM7 package from Synology, but have not installed that yet.  If my library setup is gone and I have to rebuild it from scratch, I'm assuming I should just uninstall the current Emby, update to DSM7, and then use the Synology package.

Hi, sorry to hear this. I don't think http://synology.emby.media has been up in a while.  You can now get the packages right from our download page or from the Synology catalog starting with DSM 7.

Before you do too much on the NAS would you like for me to remote into your desktop and give you a hand?
I'd share your desktop with you so we could look and see what's the situation is.  I should be able to tell based on data and config files as well as a quick review what the situation looks like.

If you would like to do this, send me a PM.

Carlo

• 2 weeks later...

Same thing happened here, I was prompted by the Emby iOS app that the server had to be updated, so I downloaded emby-server-synology_4.6.7.0_x86_64.spk for my DS916+.

Opened it up after install and it started with the Initial setup walk through etc... all settings gone.

I installed the Server Configuration Backup Plugin, restarted, then selected the most recent backup to restore, and it has given me 3 sets of each library as per this issue here - 

So double whammy for me, wipe all settings on update, and faulty restore trying to fix it.

Happy2Play

No one tests skipping major releases so yes with will likely be issues jumping from 4.4 to 4.6.

Had a user have issues jumping from 4.5 to 4.7 beta as none of the collection's migration happened.

If you want a hand, send me a PM and I can remote in and assist you.
Don't do anything to make it worse, then ask for help however. :)

zakraket

Lifting on this topic: my Android app said I needed to upgrade the server (4.4.3.0), Synology (DS214play with Intel Atom Evansport) does not display an update. I'm not sure what version I need to download, but I managed to install Armv5, but now I'm "booting" in a fresh install.

Not such a problem, but adding folders (local or network) to the librarie doens't work. When I try to browse I can go to /Volume1, then /Video, then the process just stops and I return to the library setup. When I enter the path "/Volume1/Video/Movies" manually I get an error that the path is not available.

Permissions problem?

The first user I made (in Emby setup) has the same name as my normal user on the Synology. Is that a problem?

• 3 months later...
Reinartz

Hi,

i have the same issue.

I have done a manual install of the latest Emby server (emby-server-synology_4.6.7.0_x86_64, still using DSM 6) on an Synology DS416Play.

I did not try to shut down Emby - i just loaded the manual install and started up.  When I went to the Emby server web page, all of my settings were gone.  It was running the setup wizard to create a new user, add a new library, etc. And I created a new user to see if there was anything left, but no.

Is there any way to restore my useres and librarys?

@cayars do you still prupose remote help?

Reinartz

Aditional information:

i didn't know that there was a backup plugin so i also didnt' used it..... 😭

Edited by Reinartz

On 3/19/2022 at 9:00 AM, Reinartz said:

Is there any way to restore my useres and librarys?

Sorry to hear that,

Do you still have the original Emby install directory on disk?
The default location would normally be /volume1/EmbyServer

If not there check any other volumes you have at the same location.  If you have that folder or some kind of backup we should be ok.

Reinartz

Hi,

i have found these two folders but i think that no one is the searched folder. Is one of these folders the rigth one?

homes/embysvr

volume1/Emby

image.png.2327fc826a08c2b08cad987496d4f445.png

image.png.0c0da40ae60c4775d5e0e84b3fc0b6cf.png

Edited by Reinartz

In the bottom one for /volume1 you have an Emby directory.

Did you look to see what is in there?
See if there are more directories under that and if so take screen shots of config and data.

Thanks

Happy2Play
3 hours ago, cayars said:

In the bottom one for /volume1 you have an Emby directory.

Did you look to see what is in there?
See if there are more directories under that and if so take screen shots of config and data.

Thanks

The bottom image show permission issues accessing it so I am guess need account with higher privileges.

Yes I do believe that's enough information to stop asking you questions as the quest for finding your old Emby location has come to an end.
And you found it! At least it looks like it but I wish you would have done an ls -l (with lowercase L) so we had date/timestamps and sizes.

But let's not touch it any more.  I'm sending you a PM right after typing this so we can arrange to do a remote support session and try our best to help you out.

Carlo

Edit: PM sent.

Edited by cayars
  • Like 1

Reinartz

Hi,

we spend more than 2hours on finding some old data. But without any good result.

Nevertheless big thanks to Carlo @cayars for helping me.

I will now do also the DSM 7 migration on my Synology and after that rebuild the Emby server.

For futur problems like this i post my "Upgrade" logfiles.

Log.txt

Thank you

• Thanks 1

Emby was installed in a custom location which I'd never seen before so we left no stone unturned looking for any signs of a previous version but there was nothing to find. 

We ran a few iterations of "find / -name library.db" and different config/database file names looking for any signs of previous files. We also grepped every log file on the system with  a mention of users.db, library.db, emby or Emby for any clues but there was nothing to find.

Unfortunately the new version was installed over top the old version in the same custom directory /volume1/Emby.  Unfortunately we had no system or Emby backup, no system snapshots, nor was the server backup configuration plugin installed (using it now).

• Agree 1