AndroidTV app does not remember audio/subtitle track settings

andyxoxo
Go to solution Solved by GrimReaper,

andyxoxo

Server 4.6.6.0, AndroidTV 2.0.48g

So I go into any movie or tv show (media) and on that media's "pre-screen" I set the audio track & preferred subtitle. When I exit out of that media and then go back into it, the audio track & subtitles have reverted back. 

Expected behavior : It should remember my audio track/subtitle settings... After all, I did set them.

• Solution
GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, andyxoxo said:

Server 4.6.6.0, AndroidTV 2.0.48g

So I go into any movie or tv show (media) and on that media's "pre-screen" I set the audio track & preferred subtitle. When I exit out of that media and then go back into it, the audio track & subtitles have reverted back. 

Expected behavior : It should remember my audio track/subtitle settings... After all, I did set them.

You need to play an item for the selection to be remembered, else it defaults to settings according your preferences in respective Settings section. 

andyxoxo
36 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

You need to play an item for the selection to be remembered, else it defaults to settings according your preferences in respective Settings section. 

Okay, thanks. So I tested this by playing a few seconds of a media then exiting it. The language track & subtitle setting does seem to stick now but I have to ask why is this extra step of actually playing the video necessary? 

Feature request : Please remove the extra step of actually needing to play a media file in order for the server and/or app to remember the language & subtitles track of any media file. Simply setting it with the app without playing should be enough.

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, andyxoxo said:

but I have to ask why is this extra step of actually playing the video necessary? 

Because you can already set your preferred audio/sub defaults, there's number of options available, so you wouldn't have to set it for each item separately. 

Remembering is used when you want something different than your preference. 

andyxoxo
3 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Because you can already set your preferred audio/sub defaults, there's number of options available, so you wouldn't have to set it for each item separately. 

Remembering is used when you want something different than your preference. 

Well, that's not really true because the defaults don't work very well ie

1) Audio Example : On my system, I don't want to use TrueHD audio due to decode difficulties so instead I want to use the media's secondary track of AC3. There's no default for that, I have to manually set that.

2) Subtitle Example : There's no default "Use external SRT subtitle" setting. There's only languages. And often if I set it for English the media file I wish to play has more than one "English"... English Forced, English all the time, etc so which English? The server just selects the first one which is often wrong. And again no setting for "External SRT" which is what I often use. So I have to manually set that too.

So you see I DO have to set it for each item seperately because your defaults are not adequate. Hey I agree to keep your defaults but if I change them with the app, then yes, I do really mean to change them so let them stick without playing. Just a thought...

GrimReaper
12 minutes ago, andyxoxo said:

1) Audio Example : On my system, I don't want to use TrueHD audio due to decode difficulties so instead I want to use the media's secondary track of AC3. There's no default for that, I have to manually set that.

Set "default" flag on your AC3 tracks; MKVToolNix will make quick work of that for you.

12 minutes ago, andyxoxo said:

2) Subtitle Example : There's no default "Use external SRT subtitle" setting. There's only languages. And often if I set it for English the media file I wish to play has more than one "English"... English Forced, English all the time, etc so which English? The server just selects the first one which is often wrong. And again no setting for "External SRT" which is what I often use. So I have to manually set that too

External srts are used by default, as logic is if you already went through the trouble of aquiring those - you probably want to use them, as well; as to which one will be used, 'default' suffix will do that there, also: <moviename>.en.default.srt

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159160-subtitles

Then set 'Default' mode in your Audio/Sub settings. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo