TV shows are Direct Play, Movies ar not.

Undutchable

Undutchable

Hey,

Just started with this great program, and I do have a (starters ?) question.

Why are my "TV-shows" seen as "direct play" on the XBMC-clients, and "Movies" are all transcoded?

All on the same WHS 2011 server.

I did check the paths substitution, those seems allright.

im85288

Hey,

Just started with this great program, and I do have a (starters ?) question.

Why are my "TV-shows" seen as "direct play" on the XBMC-clients, and "Movies" are all transcoded?

All on the same WHS 2011 server.

I did check the paths substitution, those seems allright.

Can you post your xbmc.log file? Without this we really cannot guess as to what is going on. Do you have the movies Direct Playing with any other client..eg the Web Client?

I think the transcoding is causing more problems than it is solving. We may need to revisit the Idea of having an option to completely disabled it.

Really? Do you have any specific examples of this....

Undutchable

OK guys, (presuming!)

I did find a solution to my problem, I have changed the path (settings) to the files.

Before it look like this;  J:\ServerFolders\Video  (shared folder on WHS2011)

After changing the path is; \\HOMESERV2011\Video

Really is strange is the fact that before both folders (Movies + TV-series) are pointing to the same server-folder and are acting differently. (including path-substitution) 

Now both path's are changed (without path-substitution) everything is working fine.

Thank you all for your contribution :)

• Like 1

Undutchable

I think the transcoding is causing more problems than it is solving. We may need to revisit the Idea of having an option to completely disabled it.

In my case this won't be the solution, trans-coding is really needed for tablet.

im85288

OK guys, (presuming!)

I did find a solution to my problem, I have changed the path (settings) to the files.

Before it look like this;  J:\ServerFolders\Video  (shared folder on WHS2011)

After changing the path is; \\HOMESERV2011\Video

Really is strange is the fact that before both folders (Movies + TV-series) are pointing to the same server-folder and are acting differently. (including path-substitution) 

Now both path's are changed (without path-substitution) everything is working fine.

Thank you all for your contribution :)

Yes that makes sense :) As a rule when adding your media sources always try to avoid local paths.

Thanks for confirming.

xnappo

So originally I proposed a pop-up box explaining the local path situation - that will only pop up once.

Do we think that is a good idea?  

@@ebr - how are you handling warning about it, but still allowing it?

xnappo

Edited by xnappo

In MBC, when you attempt to play back an item that cannot be directly accessed, a large warning message comes up on the screen.  This can be disabled in configuration but it will happen every time otherwise.  The message instructs the user to be sure UNC paths have been used on the server.

xnappo

It isn't transcoding that is the problem - it is the user confusion over UNC paths.  I like ebr's solution - but maybe a variant with a checkbox in the popup to acknowledge understanding.

xnappo