What does audio "Software Decode" mean/All my files "Software Decode"

andyxoxo

andyxoxo

Hi guys, okay I got Emby Server 4.6.6.0 (Windows 7) & Emby AndroidTV app 2.0.48g installed on my 2021 Sony Bravia x85J TV (Specs : https://www.flatpanelshd.com/sony_x85j_2021.php) and also on my 4K Firestick. You would think that with the same server feeding both the same apps installed on both devices that we would get the same audio performance, right? But I don't...

On the Sony TV, the Emby AndroidTV app does not direct play any audio format, none whatsoever. It says "Software Decode" under Stats for Nerds for all these audio formats  (AAC, AC3, EAC3, DTS). I attached pics so you can see all the various audio formats and how they are being software decoded. What does this mean and why would it be doing that? Shouldn't it say "Direct Play"?

On the Firestick with the same version Emby AndroidTV app installed I don't have this problem. It says audio "Direct Play" for all these same files that I took these screenshots for. 

NOTE : I also have Plex's AndroidTV app installed on the TV & it also direct plays all these same files correctly just as Emby does on the Firestick. Just having this "Software Decode" stuff with the Emby AndroidTV app installed on the Sony TV.

Thanks for your kind attention 

PXL_20211120_100706727.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20211120_100854407.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20211120_104238026.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20211120_104616945.NIGHT.jpg

rodainas

All those files are direct playing on your tv. The Play Method makes that clear.

When playing video files, the codecs can be hardware or software decoded.

Hardware decode (sometimes called hardware acceleration) works when the device uses some dedicated chip to help with the decoding process, its faster less cpu intensive here.

Software decoded is when the decoding is done by cpu, no dedicated hardware help.

The tv and the firestick are different clients, differents machines, and both uses different hardware when decoding different type of codecs. But the media is direct playing in both scenarios.

andyxoxo
1 hour ago, rodainas said:

All those files are direct playing on your tv. The Play Method makes that clear.

When playing video files, the codecs can be hardware or software decoded.

Software decoded is when the decoding is done by cpu, no dedicated hardware help.

Thanks for your reply, appreciate it. Followup question then just to be sure I understand... so because the app says "Software Decode" that means it's the TV's software (as opposed to hardware) that's doing the audio decoding and not the Emby Server? 

Reason I am concerned about this is because next up on my shop list is a Dolby Atmos soundbar so I want to be sure that the EAC3 w/ Atmos audio track info is passed along to the soundbar and not being interrupted by any audio decoding that the Emby server may be doing...

Edited by andyxoxo

rodainas
1 minute ago, andyxoxo said:

Thanks for your reply, appreciate it. Followup question then just to be sure I understand... so because the app says "Software Decode" that means it's the TV's software that's doing the decoding and not the Emby Server? 

Reason I am concerned about this is because next up on my shop list is a Dolby Atmos soundbar so I want to be sure that the EAC3 w/ Atmos audio track info is passed along to the soundbar and not being interrupted by any audio decoding that the Emby server may be doing...

No problem.

That’s correct.

The only way the server does a decoding is when playback method says Transcoding.

Whenever you see Direct Play on that line, the server is just giving you a direct copy of the file to play (and decode via hardware/software) on your own device.

Hi.  This was just a TV with stereo speakers - no outboard audio equipment, correct?  Was there any problem with the audio?

andyxoxo
40 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  This was just a TV with stereo speakers - no outboard audio equipment, correct?  Was there any problem with the audio?

Good question... yep TV with stereo speakers only, not atmos soundbar yet. Guess I will find out if there actually is an audio problem once I get the soundbar...

Hi.  There will be no problem - subject to the limitations of the sound bar you get and how it is connected and what the TV supports.  The app is software decoding your audio because you only have stereo output so there is no reason to try and convert the audio to anything else.  This provides for the most efficient playback.

• Like 1