Plugin Development - First timer :)

emargee

Hi all, (I hope this is the best place to post this!)

I am developing my first plugin (dont worry, I have many years of C# experience), I just wanted to check if what I am trying to do is possible before going down the rabbit hole!

My use-case is very slim, I will quickly try and summarise:

• All media is UHD ISO/BDMV on NAS
  • Using Emby as a front end which (via another plugin) then mounts + play the discs on a separate player - Emby never plays the files
  • I wish to get some extra media info so I can tell if the discs are HDR10/HDR10+/DolbyVision + DTS/Dolby Atmos etc
  • I want to write a plugin that can add this media info to the library screen.

I know there have been dicussions about not wanting to support MediaInfo for people who use ISO/BDMV backup and I totally get that and how its better for the team to focus on MKV but I thought I would roll my own plugin and give it a try.

What I would like to know is:

• What service do I integrate with to add information to the "MediaInfo" section of the library screen (individual item)? Am I creating a custom media provider ? or is there some other recommended way?
  • What service will allow me to access the iso or folder structure ? Is it still IIsoManager & IBlurayExaminer ?
  • If I add the correct media info will the area at the top (just under the title) update automatically or is this another service I need to plumb into to push this data ?

BluRay UHD (no media info)

image.png.88f77bc1788c1a9130918c2fa2b63945.png

MKV UHD (media info!)

image.png.93a8f7c249db0b7df76f4a9428e10990.png

• Do you integrate on a particular event (metadata refresh for example) or at some other point to trigger the scan ?

Any help (or links to open-source plugins that do similar) would be appreciated ! Thanks :)

Edited by emargee

Hi @emargee, just FYI, plugins cannot currently alter the user interface in the way that you want. The role of plugins is generally to provide data or content into the server for the apps to display.

@chef may have some tips though.