Wrong artists

How come songs are showing up for artists that aren't in the metadata? Ex... Guy songs showing up under Aaron Hall? Yes the songs are in the folder of the correct artist. 

Hi there, have you checked the id3 tags embedded within the audio file? Can you please show us a specific example? Thanks.

Happy2Play
17 minutes ago, Shai1 said:

How come songs are showing up for artists that aren't in the metadata? Ex... Guy songs showing up under Aaron Hall? Yes the songs are in the folder of the correct artist. 

Emby is relying on embedded tags, in special circumstances it will fallback for folder structure but not that often.

Happy2Play
13 minutes ago, Shai1 said:

Does Emby read composers as artists?

It is its own tag and Emby has a tab for Composers in Music.

And when I look at my music library and look at artists, it should only read artist metadata not authors or composers. I used musicbrainz to update metadata and it seems like it screwed alot up.

and I ise imvdb for my music videos, and that puts wrong information in there. sometimes it will put information for movies in there too. I'm uninstalling the plug ins again because they aren't working. No need for a plug in that doesn't work as it should. 

Happy2Play
19 minutes ago, Shai1 said:

And when I look at my music library and look at artists, it should only read artist metadata not authors or composers. I used musicbrainz to update metadata and it seems like it screwed alot up.

Will need to go over specific examples

for example this will appear in Artist and Composer.

image.thumb.png.5f708adfd3c27a16262bb67d497b0cdc.png

Happy2Play
13 minutes ago, Shai1 said:

and I ise imvdb for my music videos, and that puts wrong information in there. sometimes it will put information for movies in there too. I'm uninstalling the plug ins again because they aren't working. No need for a plug in that doesn't work as it should. 

Yes there are reports of a lot of quirks with this plugin.  Would have to search as I don't really do Music Videos.

But if the artist has one name like Guy for example, in my library under artists it should come up only under Guy. Because the composer/Author has Aaron Hall & Guy, the songs show up under Aaron Hall as the artist.

3 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Yes there are reports of a lot of quirks with this plugin.  Would have to search as I don't really do Music Videos.

Common sense tells me that if there are alot of quirks, then it should be removed until fixed. 

Happy2Play

@Lukeis Composer shown as Artist also?  

@Shai1is Aaron Hall a Artist on any other album/track?  Would expect everything to be linked by Name to Show for the person.

But in the end we would need to see the embedded metadata from one of those tracks.

1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

@Lukeis Composer shown as Artist also?  

@Shai1is Aaron Hall a Artist on any other album/track?  Would expect everything to be linked by Name to Show for the person.

But in the end we would need to see the embedded metadata from one of those tracks.

Yes Aaron Hall is an artist on 1 track. Seems like Aaron Hall is the author or composer on the others, which is my point. If the artist is Guy it should show up as Guy when I look at Artists. Guy is the only artist in the metadata in the artist field. 

If the artist is tagged as a composer on a track, then when you click on the artist screen, those songs will be in the Songs section for that artist. So yes it's true the Composer is not the artist, but he is involved with that track.

He should show up under the composer section yes, but he's not singing so he's not an artist. Artist should read artist metadata/tag and composer should read composer metadata/tag.

6 hours ago, Luke said:

If the artist is tagged as a composer on a track, then when you click on the artist screen, those songs will be in the Songs section for that artist. So yes it's true the Composer is not the artist, but he is involved with that track.

So the artist section under my music reads artist and composer tag but there's a composer section too? 

7 hours ago, Shai1 said:

He should show up under the composer section yes, but he's not singing so he's not an artist. Artist should read artist metadata/tag and composer should read composer metadata/tag.

Yes they are separate, it's just the "Songs" section on the artist detail screen that combines records from the two. Does that answer your question?

35 minutes ago, Luke said:

Yes they are separate, it's just the "Songs" section on the artist detail screen that combines records from the two. Does that answer your question?

That's my thing; is it shouldn't combine them. Everything should stay in it's own place. Now I am going back through and editing all metadata and tags so only the songs that they are on (not composer) show up under their name. Having to scrub thousands of songs again.

We could always break it into a Songs section and a Composed By Section I guess. The current design is taking inspiration from Apple Music.

10 minutes ago, Luke said:

We could always break it into a Songs section and a Composed By Section I guess. The current design is taking inspiration from Apple Music.

Ideally (at least for me) it would be the artists section under music would only populate from artists tag/metadata and composed by would feed only from composers tag/metadata. I can't speak for everyone else; but it makes sense to me. And I have an Android so I've never used Apple Music. 

I think we're talking about different things. I am only speaking about the Songs section on the detail screen.

The artists tab that is directly underneath your music library, that should already be Artists only because we have a separate Composers tab for that.

28 minutes ago, Luke said:

I think we're talking about different things. I am only speaking about the Songs section on the detail screen.

The artists tab that is directly underneath your music library, that should already be Artists only because we have a separate Composers tab for that.

Oh I think we are. I'm talking about when you go to music library and then click on artists to view all artists from music files. That section was where the screenshot came from. I click on Aaron Hall under the artists tab and it came up with the songs that he wasn't the artist. They even have different artist names and album covers that weren't from that artist.

Happy2Play

@Lukeas shown in the image above the person is a Artist and Composer, so in artist view the person shows everything linked to the person/name.  So OP want Artist view to exclude anything a person composted.

But is this not a grey area as once you enter a Name it is itemdetails not Artist or Composer.