downloading subtitle with opensubtitle doesn't work

V@l123

V@l123
7 hours ago, ebr said:

I remember seeing a post recently that if your certificate is one of the Let's Encrypt ones with an expired certificate, you cannot connect to opensubtitles.org...

I might be in the case i try to remove the path of the certificat in network setting but i'm not sure that it disabled the possibility to connect with https (and if i remove the port i can't save)

Q-Droid

You definitely have something resolving locally to the wrong IP address. It's not Emby.

The nslookup command queries your DNS server and the result is correct. The ping command is using the IP your machine thinks belongs to that domain. You should check your hosts file. Or someone else more familiar with Windows could point to what else might be doing this. Typically it's the hosts file (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts) but possibly something else like software, etc.

• Agree 1

rbjtech
3 minutes ago, V@l123 said:

What i did was add the ip of opensubtitle ip to my etc host and now it's working

thanks

Excellent - so was there an incorrect entry in the hosts file for opensubtitles.org ?

If there was, then it would be better to remove it alltogether as the correct DNS resolution is working using your external DNS provider. (what nslookup is using)

• Agree 1

V@l123
5 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Excellent - so was there an incorrect entry in the hosts file for opensubtitles.org ?

yes there was one i change it and it was working and now i removed it 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can someone provide an explanation of how to resolve the opensubitles plugin not working and pulling subtitles?

I tried to follow this thread, but I really cannot glean what the real issue is and what is the proper and most expedient resolution.

There really isn't an alternative plugin for subtitles that works all that well.   

9 minutes ago, kuebs said:

Can someone provide an explanation of how to resolve the opensubitles plugin not working and pulling subtitles?

I tried to follow this thread, but I really cannot glean what the real issue is and what is the proper and most expedient resolution.

There really isn't an alternative plugin for subtitles that works all that well.   

Hi.  That depends on your specific situation.  The other folks in this thread had different reasons ranging from incorrect credentials to a modified network environment that was interfering.

I don't think that my issue is credential related as I have changed it multiple times.   If there is a DNS resolution issue, can someone explain what the fix is?  I have gone into opensubtitles and pulled subtitles directly and they have worked just fine.

If the issue is that my system is making too many requests and exceeding a limit, is there a way to set or limit the subtitle requests each day?   Right now it seems like all or nothing for subtitle searches, but is there a way to have it not make requests where there are existing subtitles in place?

rbjtech
3 minutes ago, kuebs said:

I don't think that my issue is credential related as I have changed it multiple times.   If there is a DNS resolution issue, can someone explain what the fix is?  I have gone into opensubtitles and pulled subtitles directly and they have worked just fine.

If the issue is that my system is making too many requests and exceeding a limit, is there a way to set or limit the subtitle requests each day?   Right now it seems like all or nothing for subtitle searches, but is there a way to have it not make requests where there are existing subtitles in place?

Emby will not request a subtitle if a valid one already exists.  The fact you are download subs suggests you do not have connectivity issues.

Opensubtitles allows I believe 200 requests per 24 hours,  so if you have more than 200 subtitles to get, then you have one of two options -

1) Let emby use the max 200 requests per day until it has completed what it needs to do.

2) Purchase VIP on opensubtitles which gives you more requests per day - I believe it is 1000

So in my case, when I do a direct search/request for subtitles I don't see opensubtitles as an option.  I only see podnapisi.   Not even the other subtitle plugins that I have enabled.

Which includes Addic7ed, podnapisi, napiSub, SubDb and Opensubtitles.   So I think I have a mess.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2022 at 10:40 AM, kuebs said:

So in my case, when I do a direct search/request for subtitles I don't see opensubtitles as an option.  I only see podnapisi.   Not even the other subtitle plugins that I have enabled.

Which includes Addic7ed, podnapisi, napiSub, SubDb and Opensubtitles.   So I think I have a mess.

@kuebs what do you mean by "open subtitles as an option"?

When you do a manual search there is no option to choose which source to search. All sources are searched and you see only the ones that found results.

Does this help clear up any confusion about this?