ShieldTV Transcodeing LiveTV When It Shouldn't

Sammy
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

My ShieldTV has started to always transcode LiveTV making CC's not work I sent a couple of Logs under user TVTime at 5:46 and 5:50 am PST and here's the server and transcode logs.

Looking at User Sessions, it is showing it is connected remotely but my ShieldTV shows up on my router at a local address.

360155233_UserSessions.thumb.png.86ec06f47d7d5ef1bf98c1766ded3121.png

ffmpeg-transcode-c.txt ffmpeg-transcode-b.txt ffmpeg-transcode-a.txt Emby Server.txt

Hi, try configuring the quality setting in the app. Looks like it's transcoding based on how you've configured it.

@Luke

I have my ShieldTV set with the exact same settings as my MiBox s', which remux and display CC's just fine, but for whatever reason it is Transcoding LiveTV. I'm also noticing that in the Emby User Sessions it is showing that it is connected to my WAN IP address even though the ShieldTV itself is connected to my LAN with a local IP address. I think Emby Server thinks it is a remote connection and therefore is enforcing bit rate restrictions and transcoding the stream.

Is there anything else I need to check out?

1 hour ago, Sammy said:

Emby User Sessions it is showing that it is connected to my WAN IP address even though the ShieldTV itself is connected to my LAN with a local IP address. I think Emby Server thinks it is a remote connection and therefore is enforcing bit rate restrictions and transcoding the stream.

Yep, that sounds like a likely cause.

1 hour ago, Sammy said:

Is there anything else I need to check out?

Make sure something isn't blocking the device from accessing via the local IP.  Try manually entering it.

rbjtech

It's also worth checking the Network settings in the server - as Emby doesn't always correctly identify RFC 1918 addresses.

In my case, I need to explicitly add the two VLAN's I want emby to consider local - but these are both RFC 1918 (192.168.0.0/16) so it should work - but does not...

Capture.PNG.3085ccd803c3366e0eb6c62d235bbb19.PNG

Edited by rbjtech

5 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

It's also worth checking the Network settings in the server - as Emby doesn't always correctly identify RFC 1918 addresses.

In my case, I need to explicitly add the two VLAN's I want emby to consider local - but these are both RFC 1918 (192.168.0.0/16) so it should work - but does not...

Capture.PNG.3085ccd803c3366e0eb6c62d235bbb19.PNG

I'll check into this but other devices on the LAN are recognized as local; only the ShieldTV is showing as remote.

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, Sammy said:

I'll check into this but other devices on the LAN are recognized as local; only the ShieldTV is showing as remote.

Are you maybe logged via Connect there? 

rbjtech
6 minutes ago, Sammy said:

That's odd - maybe it is using a 'Guest Wifi' or something different about it's local IP vs the other clients ?

jhoff80

🤦‍♂️I just noticed last night, after literally 10 months of having a UDMP set up with multiple VLANs, that my setup has been doing the same thing that whole time.  (My Shields are on my IoT VLAN, the server is on my main VLAN).

Added the LAN networks as mentioned above and of course it works properly now.

On 11/21/2021 at 8:20 AM, jhoff80 said:

🤦‍♂️I just noticed last night, after literally 10 months of having a UDMP set up with multiple VLANs, that my setup has been doing the same thing that whole time.  (My Shields are on my IoT VLAN, the server is on my main VLAN).

Added the LAN networks as mentioned above and of course it works properly now.

It is on my LAN in the Unify Clients Page. I don't know what is going on here. The ShieldTV itself says it is on the LAN at the same local IP address but in User Sessions on the Emby Server it shows it is on the WAN with the public IP address of my modem showing.

• Solution
15 minutes ago, Sammy said:

It is on my LAN in the Unify Clients Page. I don't know what is going on here. The ShieldTV itself says it is on the LAN at the same local IP address but in User Sessions on the Emby Server it shows it is on the WAN with the public IP address of my modem showing.

What happens if you switch server and manually enter the local address of the server?

1 hour ago, ebr said:

What happens if you switch server and manually enter the local address of the server?

That fixed it. 

22A3288D-A383-41DE-96BF-047BAEC17FC2.jpeg