Coming from Chromecast 4, wich device to avoid some transcoding

Alefielm

Alefielm

Hi! I had a Chromecast ultra, good experience, have to return it, now on Chromecast 3.

I'm looking for a replacement that will need the least transcoding possible while supporting 4k (my server is a raspberry pi)

I had problems with:

• some HVEC
  • AAC 5.1 <<this is a very annoying codec but is used a lot
  • Some x265 combinations
  • 7.1 audio (needed to be transcoded to AC3), I have a 5.1 system, maybe it makes sense.

Would you recommend a device to try? Ot I should stick to Chromecast Ultra?

I saw some threads about devices, don't want to hijack those for my particular needs.

Thanks!

Edited by Alefielm

Alefielm
3 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, the NVidia Shield is a great device that can direct play quite a bit.

It answers my question perfectly, it being at 3x the price of the 4k Roku (2021), anyone has a comparison to understand better if it wort the difference?

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Alefielm said:

It answers my question perfectly, it being at 3x the price of the 4k Roku (2021), anyone has a comparison to understand better if it wort the difference?

Thanks!

4K Roku is a great option as well. @Gilgamesh_48 may have some thoughts but I think the main things that Roku doesn't support are certain subtitle formats such as PGS, DVDSub, etc. So those may cause transcoding.

Gilgamesh_48
8 hours ago, Luke said:

4K Roku is a great option as well. @Gilgamesh_48 may have some thoughts but I think the main things that Roku doesn't support are certain subtitle formats such as PGS, DVDSub, etc. So those may cause transcoding.

I do not use 4K as my old eyes can't really see and difference above z good 1080p rip. However there are a number of reasons that any device might have problems with high bitrate files as 4K is. I realize the fact that you have had a Chromecast and it worked well for you means your wireless network is pretty stable and clean but I would recommend that whatever device you end up using can be connected wired. Even the cleanest and most stable wireless connection has minor problems that remain below the threshold of usability while a wired connection with decent hardware has many many fewer problems.

Beyond that I have a Roku Ultra, a Shield TV, a Fire TV stick and a HTPC that I keep active for the few sites that only work through a web browser. The device I use the most, by far, is the Ultra. Roku (the company) can be hell to deal with but they still make the best simple to use streaming hardware on the market.

My #2 in use is the Shield TV Pro. It streams everything I throw at it and now has a nice, easy to use, interface and Emby (I use the beta app) runs extremely well.
Note: I tried running Emby's server on the Shield and it did work well at first. However my library is on the larger size (4000+ movies and over 42000 TV Episodes in nearly 800 shows) and the server just could not handle the size.

I know that some of that was outside the question but the only real way to be sure is to research all choices and narrow it down to two or three and get whichever is #1 on your list. Then test it. If it does not meet your needs the return it and try another. Or you could do as I used to do and just, from time to time, order a new streamer just because you want to try something new.

The above just reminded me that there really has not been any major new streaming hardware it quite a while. I wonder if something innovative might be close?

Alefielm
19 hours ago, Luke said:

Great, no problem with subs, I can handle that 😃

Very complete answer! Thank you!!! I will look for the 2021 version of the Roku 4k stick and try it. My library pales at the side of yours

Thanks both!