Emby Theater Desktop App freezes, then plays again.

StopTheExcuses

StopTheExcuses

Hello all!  So, for awhile now when playing a movie direct using the Emby Theater App on my Windows PC the movie will play just fine for anywhere between thirty minutes and an hour.  However, it will then freeze.  If I do nothing at all it will then play again within about five seconds and play fine for another thirty minutes or so.  Tonight's example was Don't Breathe 2 wit the the DTS HD Audio track, and it froze once at about thirty minutes in, and then again at about the fifty minute mark.  I have attached a log, and it's my first time, so I'm not even sure it is the correct log.

I thought maybe it was because I had Hardware Throttling enabled, so I disabled it but the issue persists.

PC Specs are GTX1070 TI with a Ryzen 7 2700X CPU so I wouldn't think it's a transcoding issue.  PC is connected VIA HDMI to a Sony DN1070 Receiver which is connected to a Samsung QN75Q80R Television. 

Also of note is when playing through the server itself on any other Tv in the home, not direct, it does not have this issue.  Any help or suggestions is much appreciated.  Thanks!

CJ

hardware_detection-63772340538.txt

StopTheExcuses

One additional question.  If I disable Audio Passthrough, will I still get HD Audio?  Instead of DTS HD my receiver now says linear PCM.

On 11/14/2021 at 2:21 PM, StopTheExcuses said:

One additional question.  If I disable Audio Passthrough, will I still get HD Audio?  Instead of DTS HD my receiver now says linear PCM.

HI @StopTheExcuses if you do this, it will be decoded inside the app, so the receiver will show PCM.

StopTheExcuses
7 minutes ago, Luke said:

HI @StopTheExcuses if you do this, it will be decoded inside the app, so the receiver will show PCM.

Ok, so even though my receiver is saying Linear PCM, it is actually still being decoded in the App as HD Audio, and playing as HD Audio?

7 minutes ago, Luke said:

Can you please attach an emby server log example from this? Thanks !

Was my first log attachment not correct?  I went into logs during the Movie Play time and that was the only log that I saw.  If not, next time I play a movie and it freezes I can see if I can get the correct log.  Thank you for the reply!

StopTheExcuses
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Can you please attach an emby server log example from this? Thanks !

I just looked at the log history again and I realized I did not have the enable debugging logging toggled on, maybe that's why I'm not seeing the correct logs?  Thanks!

StopTheExcuses

Quick update.  I just disabled Passthrough to test and even though the Movie was DTS HD 7.1 it output 2.0 Linear PCM.  So, I was only getting stereo.  I'll still with Passthrough and hope to find a way around this bug.

StopTheExcuses

Hi Luke!  Yes, Windows 11 and I updated my GPU to the most recent update.  (I was having the same issue with Windows 10.)  It also makes sense why I can't see the log you are requesting, it's Direct Play.  I have disable Display Sync/Enable Interpolation/Any kind of refreshing to see if that helps as well.  I will test by this weekend and see. 

StopTheExcuses
On 11/20/2021 at 10:22 AM, Luke said:

Let us know how you get on. Thanks.

Hi Luke.  So, over the weekend I tested it out with the new "Candyman".  Played absolutely perfectly until about 50 minutes in, then froze for about 5 seconds and played perfectly the rest of the way.  So weird and I just don't know what to try next.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

StopTheExcuses
On 11/24/2021 at 10:28 PM, Luke said:

If you play the same file again, does it do the same thing in exactly the same spot, or is it random?

Great question.  I'll have to figure out when I've got an hour free time to test the exact same movie.  But what I can tell you is that most of the time, irregardless of what Movie it is, it will freeze between the 50 minute and one hour mark.