2-part tv-pvr with Emby server

aaronouthier

aaronouthier

Hello,

I really like Emby Server. Been using it for years. I am wanting to make a setup for my parents with CableCard + HDHomeRun Prime.

I currently have:

The HomeRun Prime

An Asus Tinker Board 1S w/ 2 GB RAM

A Raspberry Pi 3B+ with MPEG2 hw decoder license.

A NetGear Stora Box with modified software - currently boots from USB I have NFS sharing enabled and working.

I plan to run Emby Server on the Tinker Board - already tested and runs fine on Armbian.

I need to find a PVR product that will make use of the HW decoder license and works well with Emby.

My folks don't want another tower machine in their home. I was hard-pressed to get permission to go this far.

Does anyone know off-hand of a PVR product that meets the criteria above?

I can use more PI3B+'s for more streams if needed.

aaronouthier

Can a Raspberry Pi 3 handle 3 simultaneous streams of MPEG2 input and the 3 resulting MPEG4 output streams over the same ethernet connection? Can it handle the transcoding of 3 streams? If so, then yeah, I'll do that. I'm thinking it doesn't have sufficient CPU power and RAM. I could be wrong though.

aaronouthier

I do have a MPEG decoding license for Hardware decoding, so perhaps it can handle it? It would certainly simplify things.

aaronouthier

Ahh, yes. Looking back at my posts, I see I wasn't clear on that aspect. Yes, I plan to distribute the load. I'm gunna try NextPVR. I've attempted this before, but version 3 of the plugin hadn't been developed back then, so I had to abort at that time. Looks promising now.