no seamless streaming on phones

MEGAMEGO

MEGAMEGO

I set up an Emby server on core i5-4570 3.20 GHz with 12 GB of ram and 64-bit windows 10 with an IP of 10.70.10.65

connected computers to the same lan with IP 10.70.10.XX stream the media from the server with no problems

there is a wifi router that distributes connection to phones and tablets gives IP 192.168.1.XX 

the problem is that connected phones to the wifi seems to have trouble playing the media and keeps freezing is there any way to make the streaming faster?

I noticed that in the dashboard while playing on network computer it says direct play and when playing on a mobile device it says direct stream(I guess because not on the same network)

GrimReaper
1 hour ago, MEGAMEGO said:

I set up an Emby server on core i5-4570 3.20 GHz with 12 GB of ram and 64-bit windows 10 with an IP of 10.70.10.65

connected computers to the same lan with IP 10.70.10.XX stream the media from the server with no problems

there is a wifi router that distributes connection to phones and tablets gives IP 192.168.1.XX 

Why don't you put that WiFi router in bridge mode and avoid double NAT there? 

the problem is that connected phones to the wifi seems to have trouble playing the media and keeps freezing is there any way to make the streaming faster?

You might have some WiFi overhead there, what is the bitrate of media you're trying to play? 

I noticed that in the dashboard while playing on network computer it says direct play and when playing on a mobile device it says direct stream(I guess because not on the same network)

Nope, that would be client-dependent, not which subnet it is on: media encoding and/or container may require remuxing (container swap, audio converting), hence DirecStreaming, to deliver it to appropriate client. That is usually low-CPU-cost task as opposed to full transcoding. 

MEGAMEGO
31 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Why don't you put that WiFi router in bridge mode and avoid double NAT there? 

can not do that as there is a firewall which allows users to connect to internet by mac address and if i used bridge mode i have to enter every mobile and tablet to the fire wall but using as router lets me allow only the router and all devices connected to the router will be allowed as the firewall can not see these devices

31 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

You might have some WiFi overhead there, what is the bitrate of media you're trying to play? 

1188 kbps

32 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

aha got it i also changed the transcoding folder to an ssd drive for faster writing and reading would that help?

GrimReaper
4 minutes ago, MEGAMEGO said:

can not do that as there is a firewall which allows users to connect to internet by mac address and if i used bridge mode i have to enter every mobile and tablet to the fire wall but using as router lets me allow only the router and all devices connected to the router will be allowed as the firewall can not see these devices

If it were me, I'd still set it up as such and eliminate that subnet, you can't have that many devices, shouldn't take you more than few minutes to set those up and avoid unnecessary translations, more complicated it is - higher the chance for hiccups. But to each their own, I suppose, if it works for you it certainly is a viable setup. 

7 minutes ago, MEGAMEGO said:

1188 kbps

That shouldn't have any issues being streamed uninterrupted, could you provide some details as stipulated here:

9 minutes ago, MEGAMEGO said:

aha got it i also changed the transcoding folder to an ssd drive for faster writing and reading would that help?

That has been somewhat debatable lately, depending on who you ask, but I'd say it has generally been observed as beneficial having it on dedicated SSD, especially related to LiveTV. 

MEGAMEGO
2 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

That shouldn't have any issues being streamed uninterrupted, could you provide some details as stipulated here:

2 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

If it were me, I'd still set it up as such and eliminate that subnet, you can't have that many devices, shouldn't take you more than few minutes to set those up and avoid unnecessary translations, more complicated it is - higher the chance for hiccups. But to each their own, I suppose, if it works for you it certainly is a viable setup. 

we have 30 users that change every month as I am working on a vessel ,each user will have at least 3 devices mobile laptop and a tablet so it will be a night mare to add every and each one.

ffmpeg-directstream-d224ba5e-0fcf-45ce-a3e7-e3028728e4a5_1.txt

GrimReaper
23 minutes ago, MEGAMEGO said:

we have 30 users that change every month as I am working on a vessel

LOL I'm a seaman myself (and currently on board, for that matter), sharing my server with 10ish-15 users, WiFi (twice-extended) only. Even with (less than) half the number of your users, my network gets saturated and causes buffering, depending on client location and signal strength, as it nears 10 concurrent streams. Theoretically both n and ac and ax networks should have more than enough bandwidth - in reality there's lot of interference and obstructions and bouncing and metal in-between, I doubt you'll ever get all of those playing smoothly wirelessly. What might assist is to strategically place a couple of WiFi extenders to give some boost there. Albeit that will also depend on the client location. 

Edit: As a test, play something on one of the wireless clients and lower in-app quality to lowest available bitrate - see whether you'll get buffering then. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Append

MEGAMEGO
1 hour ago, GrimReaper said:

LOL I'm a seaman myself (and currently on board, for that matter), sharing my server with 10ish-15 users, WiFi (twice-extended) only. Even with (less than) half the number of your users, my network gets saturated and causes buffering, depending on client location and signal strength, as it nears 10 concurrent streams. Theoretically both n and ac and ax networks should have more than enough bandwidth - in reality there's lot of interference and obstructions and bouncing and metal in-between, I doubt you'll ever get all of those playing smoothly wirelessly. What might assist is to strategically place a couple of WiFi extenders to give some boost there. Albeit that will also depend on the client location. 

Edit: As a test, play something on one of the wireless clients and lower in-app quality to lowest available bitrate - see whether you'll get buffering then. 

Nice i am also an eto and currently onboard, for the wifi i am using tp-link M5 with mesh technology and distributed  to cover all decks no dead zones so no problem with covarage or streaming as 60 crew divided to 2 shifts and lets say 15 are sleeping so max users are 10 or 15 but never went to that many at same time

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, MEGAMEGO said:

Nice i am also an eto and currently onboard, for the wifi i am using tp-link M5 with mesh technology and distributed  to cover all decks no dead zones so no problem with covarage or streaming as 60 crew divided to 2 shifts and lets say 15 are sleeping so max users are 10 or 15 but never went to that many at same time

M5s should have no issues carrying that many streams, but then again, it all boils down to quite specific enviromental conditions. Do make a test as per above, see what gives. 

MEGAMEGO

what I tried to do is to disable hardware acceleration, the transcoding thread count Auto,  enable throttling, changing the H264 encoding preset to superfast hopefully that will decrease the load on the processor and support multiple users in same time and still testing 

GrimReaper
7 hours ago, MEGAMEGO said:

what I tried to do is to disable hardware acceleration

7 hours ago, MEGAMEGO said:

hopefully that will decrease the load on the processor

It won't, it will have the opposite effect, as all transcoding will be done in software only, i.e. done by CPU alone. Enable HW accelleration, don't know whether you have discrete GPU or iGPU - but it doesn't matter, either will do, moreso if iGPU is Intel CPU with QuckSync, to take the grunt off the processor. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo

MEGAMEGO

still the same problem exist tried to reduce quality to 720p 1mb still buffers but when reduced to 480 1mb was ok any way to reduce bit rate without reducing quality ?using emby app on android tablet

embyserver-63772272004.txt ffmpeg-transcode-67cd5436-407c-44c1-87c6-e3e3dca907e7_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-7308a7fb-c16a-4bc1-abed-578d2220d363_1.txt

I notice you customized the server transcoding temporary files path. Can you try setting that back to default?

MEGAMEGO
6 hours ago, Luke said:

I notice you customized the server transcoding temporary files path. Can you try setting that back to default?

changed the server transcoding temporary files path to SSD drive for faster writing if I put back to default it will be slower right?

It's just something to try just to rule it out as a source of the problem. If it doesn't make s difference then you can change it back.

MEGAMEGO
2 hours ago, Luke said:

It's just something to try just to rule it out as a source of the problem. If it doesn't make s difference then you can change it back.

I did as you said but no change the movie play for some time then it start to freeze then play for 1 or 2 min and freeze again then freezing becomes more often, only when i select 480 p with 720 kbps it starts playing smoothly any way to play 720 P in 720 Kbps?

On 11/13/2021 at 11:58 PM, MEGAMEGO said:

if I chose 480p with 720 Kbps and changed H264 encoding CRF to 10 will it help to give better picture near to the 720p? 

Lowering the crf to 10 will improve image quality, but it will also make the stream size larger. Since you're having trouble sustaining a smooth stream, it's probably not something you want to do.

But yes, you could try to lower it from the default a little bit and see if you're able to sustain smooth playback. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

MEGAMEGO

found the problem it was in the quality of service QOS increased it to 1024 and connected the Emby server to 1Gb switch and now no more buffering