How to prevent transcoding on LAN

Bobby121418
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Bobby121418

Hi,

I am running my emby server at home and watch my movies via streaming on TV within the same LAN so I am not sure why Emby transcodes some of the films, like those from DVDs, but not the ones from Blu Rays. In fact I do not need transcoding at all while at home and if I use DLNA, the movies work fine. So, is there a way to prevent transcoding at home?

Thanks

GrimReaper

Being on LAN does not preclude by default that content will not be transcoded, as that depends on client capabilities and format the actual media is in, amongst others. 

Anyway, some details would be needed, see:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Hi, Emby will already direct play whenever possible. What Emby app are you playing with? Did you check the stats feature in the video player to learn why it was transcoding?

GrimReaper
2 hours ago, Bobby121418 said:

In this case I was using Emby on LG WebOS.

15 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

some details would be needed

9 hours ago, Luke said:

Did you check the stats feature in the video player to learn why it was transcoding?

Bobby121418

Hi, in this case I see the cause is subtitles incompatibility. This ocurrs with ripped DVD movies through makemkv. Is there plans for fix in later releases of the WebOS app?

Thanks 

20211108_212346.jpg

• Solution
29 minutes ago, Bobby121418 said:

Hi, in this case I see the cause is subtitles incompatibility. This ocurrs with ripped DVD movies through makemkv. Is there plans for fix in later releases of the WebOS app?

Thanks 

20211108_212346.jpg

Hi, first LG would have to add support for this subtitle format. We support whatever formats the LG video player supports.

• Thanks 1

You basically have 2 choices if you need subs.  First is get a different device that can handle that subtitle format like an Android TV box.
Second would be to source SRT subs for the movies and then remove the subs from the movie so they can't be used.

Having content that will direct play takes time to curate your library and media before you add it and is the better way.  While you can control what devices you use if you ever share your server with someone else they may cause your movies to transcode and you're back to the same issue.

• Thanks 1