Dolby Vision has a purple hue to it?

LqHnyBear
Go to solution Solved by FrostByte,

LqHnyBear

Emby version 4.6.4.0 on Windows

Anything I play with Dolby Vision has a purple hue to it. I'm trying on my firestick 4k on my samsung tv which is HDR and Dolby Vision compatible, on my iPhone 11 and on my PC on a 4k monitor. They all get this weird purple hue to it. Is there a setting I should change somewhere? The file is not transcoding it's playing direct.

• Solution
FrostByte
53 minutes ago, LqHnyBear said:

Emby version 4.6.4.0 on Windows

Anything I play with Dolby Vision has a purple hue to it. I'm trying on my firestick 4k on my samsung tv which is HDR and Dolby Vision compatible, on my iPhone 11 and on my PC on a 4k monitor. They all get this weird purple hue to it. Is there a setting I should change somewhere? The file is not transcoding it's playing direct.

There is no Samsung TV in the World which supports DV.  If your video has only DV then it will look either purple or green.  However, if your video has DV and HDR10 layers then it should discard the DV layer and still play HDR10

HDR format with both a DV and a HDR10 layer

HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible 

example of video with only a DV layer

HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.05.06, BL+RPU 

Your best bet is to redownload a version w/o DV

• Like 1

FrostByte

NP.   Most UHD movies that have DV will also have a HDR10 layer so you should be good playing those and your TV will just discard the DV layer and still trigger HDR.  It's just the stuff from streaming services that usually only has one or the other layer and our Samsung TVs don't know what to do with it

pir8radio

I’m seeing this purple hue.  Even in the scene captures.  Cool thing about emby is it make the media playable on any device.  Is there not something that can be auto so I can watch these on non dv tv’s?

both of these movies have the purple hue video info attached

03CE5CEC-4A6A-41DF-B5DD-1878CB192BAD.png

90E5A542-F8B6-421A-99C1-B33E7EBAE26E.png

A4852B7C-22AF-440A-BC71-DBD5ADBF281C.png

Edited by pir8radio

FrostByte

Why not just redownload a version of the movie without the DV in the filename?

For example, skip anything which is WEB-DL and has DV as it will only have just the one layer.

Finch 2021 2160p ATVP WEB-DL DDP5 1 Atmos HDR H 265-FLUX
Finch 2021 2160p ATVP WEB-DL DDP5 1 Atmos DV HEVC-FLUX

There is no second HDR10 layer to fall back on with these like there is with UHD so the only other choice would probably be to transcode/TM the file, but I would rather have the movie DP myself.

• Like 1

pir8radio
14 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Why not just redownload a version of the movie without the DV in the filename?

For example, skip anything which is WEB-DL and has DV as it will only have just the one layer.

Finch 2021 2160p ATVP WEB-DL DDP5 1 Atmos HDR H 265-FLUX
Finch 2021 2160p ATVP WEB-DL DDP5 1 Atmos DV HEVC-FLUX

There is no second HDR10 layer to fall back on with these like there is with UHD so the only other choice would probably be to transcode/TM the file, but I would rather have the movie DP myself.

That’s what I’m saying. I only want to keep one video file.  Plays in my living room fine.  But nowhere else.  And scene captures are purple too.   No way to have this version transcode for non dv clients? Guess I’ll have to re download.   Meh.  

• Like 1

FrostByte

Ahh, ya this was talked about a little in the ATV beta section awhile back.  ATV already knows whether the whole chain supports DV or not when you look at SFN. 

On 11/6/2021 at 1:47 AM, FrostByte said:

HDR format with both a DV and a HDR10 layer

HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible 

example of video with only a DV layer

HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.05.06, BL+RPU 

Your best bet is to redownload a version w/o DV

Hi Frosty,

what app do you use to get that information?

11 hours ago, pir8radio said:

Is there not something that can be auto so I can watch these on non dv tv’s?

The tone mapping on the server can do that but you need to cause a transcode for that to work.  There is currently no way for the app to tell the server that it should transcode to do the tone mapping so, for now, you could use playback correction to force the transcode and get tone mapping in the process.

FrostByte
1 hour ago, ebr said:

The tone mapping on the server can do that but you need to cause a transcode for that to work.  There is currently no way for the app to tell the server that it should transcode to do the tone mapping so, for now, you could use playback correction to force the transcode and get tone mapping in the process.

Would it be possible in the future for the app to do this automatically since it already knows if the chain doesn't support DV.  Of course this would be fore single layer DV only.  Dual layer should be handled the way it is now and passthrough HDR10

Edited by FrostByte

LqHnyBear
8 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Would it be possible in the future for the app to do this automatically since it already knows if the chain doesn't support DV.  Of course this would be fore single layer DV only.  Dual layer should be handled the way it is now and passthrough HDR10

That'd be superb if it did. For now I"m just using filters to prevent getting any DV.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Yes it's something we can look at. Thanks.

• Like 3

pir8radio
On 11/8/2021 at 8:59 AM, ebr said:

i tried forcing transcoding, still purple..       see in the screenshots the scene snapshots are even purple.     so running through ffmpeg doesnt seem to fix. 

1 hour ago, pir8radio said:

i tried forcing transcoding, still purple..       see in the screenshots the scene snapshots are even purple.     so running through ffmpeg doesnt seem to fix. 

Can we please see an example of that?

pir8radio
13 hours ago, Luke said:

Can we please see an example of that?

1 hour ago, ebr said:

Yeah, let's look at details.  I seem to recall there may be some types of DV that cannot be tone mapped but don't quote me on that.

@softworkz

my screenshots are above... i have deleted these movies already...    Guess i can try to find them again.  

one is an mkv the other an mp4

Edited by pir8radio

18 hours ago, pir8radio said:

i tried forcing transcoding, still purple

We need to see the transcode log from this.

• 5 weeks later...
FrostByte

I was able to successfully create my own DV profile 8.1 file from yesterday's episode of Hawkeye.  Used the RPU from the DV profile 5 HEVC track and integrated it with the HDR10 version then remuxed back in.  It takes a bit of time, but for those who have a mixture of DV and non-DV sets it may be another option to keeping two versions of everything.

• Like 1