NFOs and images are no longer being saved to movie & series folders

katbyte

katbyte

Hello,

At some point without anything changing i can think of that would affect this NFO files and images stopped being saved to the media folders. I'm not sure what ti look for in the logs but i don't see anything at a first glance.

How can i trigger them being saved? and where can i look for errors?

thanks

• Like 1

Hi, I would check the options in your library to ensure that nfo saving is enabled. Please see if that helps. Thanks.

katbyte

huh, i restarted the server and now i see permission denied errors!

2021-11-04 02:58:34.396 Error ProviderManager: Error in metadata saver
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 4.7.0.15
    Command line: /system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /config -ffdetect /bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3
    Operating system: Linux version 5.10.0-9-amd64 (debian-kernel@lists.debian.org) (gcc-10 (Debian 10.2.1-6) 10.2.1 20210110, GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Debian) 2.35.2) #1 S
    Framework: .NET Core 3.1.17
    OS/Process: x64/x64
    Runtime: system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
    Processor count: 12
    Data path: /config
    Application path: /system
    System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/mnt/video/anime/movies/Words Bubble Up Like Soda Pop (2020)/Words Bubble Up Like Soda Pop (2020).nfo' is denied.
     ---> System.IO.IOException: Permission denied
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.IO.FileStream.WriteNative(ReadOnlySpan`1 source)
       at System.IO.FileStream.WriteSpan(ReadOnlySpan`1 source)
       at System.IO.FileStream.<>c.<WriteAsyncInternal>b__110_0(Task t, Object s)
       at System.Threading.Tasks.ContinuationTaskFromTask.InnerInvoke()
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunFromThreadPoolDispatchLoop(Thread threadPoolThread, ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
    --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteWithThreadLocal(Task& currentTaskSlot, Thread threadPoolThread)
    --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
       at NfoMetadata.Savers.BaseNfoSaver.SaveToFile(Stream stream, String path, LibraryOptions libraryOptions, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at NfoMetadata.Savers.BaseNfoSaver.Save(BaseItem item, LibraryOptions libraryOptions, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at MediaBrowser.Providers.Manager.ProviderManager.SaveMetadata(BaseItem item, LibraryOptions libraryOptions, ItemUpdateType updateType, IMetadataSaver[] savers, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
    Source: System.Private.CoreLib
    TargetSite: Void WriteNative(System.ReadOnlySpan`1[System.Byte])
    InnerException: System.IO.IOException: Permission denied
    Source:
    TargetSite:

Well that gives me a place to start! thanks it's odd given permissions match everywhere/emby stopped doing a full chmod of the media folder on startup and the user that emby runs as write to that folder just fine

have you ever considered having an error.log file so its easier for these to bubble up out of the sea of infos?

katbyte

So i have checked, double checked, found a mistaken group id (but uid was right so should have been fine), logged into the docker container and the process is running with the correct id, i can set the user to the right uid:gid and can create a file there, and i'm at loss of what to check next. I think this is why i was running the server as root until i wanted to fix the chmod issue 😕 

any suggestions?

Edited by katbyte

katbyte

ok, so even weirder is if i touch that path from within the docker container and create an empty file, and then refresh metadata emby deletes the file, and then fails to recreate it.

Bart91106

I'm having the same issue, but only with Movie Collections. The images stopped appearing these folders awhile ago. The other folders, Movies, TV Shows, and Music, have their images in their respective folders.

katbyte

i just checked when it stopped working for me and it was between july 31st and august 2th! - both for movie collections and series. Even if i switch everything back to root it is still failing to write them. I'm pretty good about staying on the latest beta release when it comes out so i imagine i must have updated to a newer version around that time.

Q-Droid

Okay, then read thru the thread linked below, pay close attention to the CIFS mount options for fstab and make sure to include the nobrl option.

katbyte

That did it! thanks @Q-Droid - turns out i already had `nolock` on the docker mount but not on the media one (nolock is an alias for noblr it seems)

know of any reason why this started happening randomly over the summer? or just some random configuration change on my nas maybe?

19 minutes ago, katbyte said:

oh one more question, is there a way to trigger saving images to the folders without refetching them?

There is not, sorry.

Q-Droid
18 minutes ago, katbyte said:

That did it! thanks @Q-Droid - turns out i already had `nolock` on the docker mount but not on the media one (nolock is an alias for noblr it seems)

know of any reason why this started happening randomly over the summer? or just some random configuration change on my nas maybe?

Best I can tell nolock has a different purpose than nobrl for CIFS. I've seen the nolock option for NFS but not much on it for CIFS so I would stick with nobrl.

Any number of things could have changed and affected the access. From mount ownership to NAS side changes so it would be hard to pinpoint without having all of the details and history.

katbyte

noted, thou so far it seems to be working just fine and from the source code looks like an alias they added - https://lists.samba.org/archive/linux-cifs-client/2010-May/006079.html

@Luke - would be a nice feature to have a task easily trigger rewriting all metadata/images without having to mass update as that can overwrite local changes. is that something a plugin could do? or is that outside the scope of plugin framework