Where do the active recording images come from?

MBSki

MBSki

Do we have any control over the images used in the active recording row on the home page? For some reason I see 2 different images for these shows. One is a poster and one is a thumb. Why don't they both use a poster or a thumb rather than being different? 

Edit: I didn't select either of these images as my default image.

image.png.ea0493ccb70457146305f7adfe901be1.png

Edited by mbarylski

These images come directly from your guide provider.
So they will only be as good as what that provider is giving you.

MBSki
33 minutes ago, cayars said:

Gotcha. I was thinking that, but appreciate the confirmation. Do we have any control over those images?

Well, you could use a different guide provider but that's really the only control you have.

MBSki

Ok, no problem. Thanks. Is it possible for Emby devs to more fully populate the art work for the programs in the guide?

I'm sure it could be done.  It would probably be easier however to run the guide through a custom script that looks up the movie or tv show and replaces the image that way.

MBSki
13 minutes ago, cayars said:

I'm sure it could be done.  It would probably be easier however to run the guide through a custom script that looks up the movie or tv show and replaces the image that way.

Uhhh, easier for 1,000s of users to write their own scripts rather than the devs building it into the guide? Not sure I agree. 😅

I should have said that differently. 

Doing what I mentioned is one way to get this done now that would be in your control.
Switching guide providers would be another way.
I understand neither of those are optimal solutions for sure.

I would encourage you to open a feature request for this as it might be something many other users would like to have as well.

8 minutes ago, cayars said:

I would encourage you to open a feature request for this as it might be something many other users would like to have as well.

I believe there already is one (or more) for this.

The basic issues are:

1) The guide provider does supply different types of images for some items but you cannot retrieve more than one at once.  So trying to populate multiple image types from them requires duplicate requests - thus slowing down the guide refresh.

2) Searching online providers for these images is extremely hit or miss and, due to the way these search engines work (always returning something even if it is wrong) it is too prone to bad results.

• Like 1

MBSki
35 minutes ago, cayars said:

I should have said that differently. 

Doing what I mentioned is one way to get this done now that would be in your control.
Switching guide providers would be another way.
I understand neither of those are optimal solutions for sure.

Yea, thanks @cayars. I was kinda just giving you a hard time. Sorry 'bout that. 😅

• Haha 1

MBSki
28 minutes ago, ebr said:

I believe there already is one (or more) for this.

The basic issues are:

1) The guide provider does supply different types of images for some items but you cannot retrieve more than one at once.  So trying to populate multiple image types from them requires duplicate requests - thus slowing down the guide refresh.

2) Searching online providers for these images is extremely hit or miss and, due to the way these search engines work (always returning something even if it is wrong) it is too prone to bad results.

Right, that's what I thought, but instead of searching every time, is it possible to 1) pick a format (either poster or thumb); 2) SAVE the chosen image for each show, by pulling it from TVDB in advance. Is that possible? I understand that would be challenging to save all the images for ALL shows in the guide, so it could be user driven. Kind of like a refresh metadata for only the shows that we have in our recordings list.

1 hour ago, mbarylski said:

Yea, thanks @cayars. I was kinda just giving you a hard time. Sorry 'bout that. 😅

Hey, I'm sure I deserve it once in a while. LOL

• Haha 1

MBSki

@ebr Can you fix this issue? Maybe controlling what images are provided is more involved, but is it possible to at least detect the dimensions and present it in the best possible format?

20211104_214534.thumb.jpg.2979ba6ece6daf795e550c002e413c98.jpg

By the way recordings become regular library items, so you do have control once they get to that point via the library image fetcher options.

MBSki
7 minutes ago, Luke said:

By the way recordings become regular library items, so you do have control once they get to that point via the library image fetcher options.

I already have these shows in my library, but it doesn't affect the image in the Active Recordings row. Is there a way 4o get it to refer to what I've selected as the image?

13 hours ago, mbarylski said:

but is it possible to at least detect the dimensions and present it in the best possible format?

When the server has that information, the app will utilize it but, in the case of an active recording, I'm not sure if that's the case.  I'll have to check.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
MBSki
On 11/5/2021 at 11:17 AM, ebr said:

When the server has that information, the app will utilize it but, in the case of an active recording, I'm not sure if that's the case.  I'll have to check.

Can you look into this @ebr? It seems the Android mobile app is able to present a clean version, but the Android TV app isn't. See the examples below. Android TV is also pulling in completely different images for some reason. 

Android Mobile

SmartSelect_20211202-205413_Emby.jpg.3745c05e2b6a3af255060ae174fd4fa7.jpg

Android TV

20211202_205437.thumb.jpg.4662a4f803ef4871675439fd79cf69fc.jpg

MBSki
12 minutes ago, ebr said:

The first image is the same, just displayed differently.

Yea, and you agree that it looks terrible right? Can you please fix it?

• 2 weeks later...
MBSki

Thanks @ebr! The new version looks MUCH better. It appears to be consistent with the other apps to which is a big plus. 😀

• Thanks 1

BillOatman
On 11/4/2021 at 8:33 AM, cayars said:

And if the guide data has no image in the programme entry?  There is apparently some kind of search logic because I have gotten some very bizarre and wrong ones displayed after the recording is complete based loosely on the program title..  But if my programme entry has a image URL defined, the recording will use it?

BillOatman
4 minutes ago, Luke said:

They come from guide data, but also from metadata providers based on the usual library options.

I assume in the programme entry, thanks!

Edited by BillOatman
  • Like 1