something limiting my upload to 50Mb/s

caffeineshock
Go to solution Solved by caffeineshock,

4 hours ago, caffeineshock said:

i still have 150mbit upload while performing a speedtest

Your ISP is undoubtedly smart enough to recognize the speedtest sites and will do everything it can to not block or shape that I would imagine.

Try this simple thing.

Test your speed from any computer on your network at:
https://www.speedtest.net/
https://speed.cloudflare.com/

I bet you will see a disappointing difference in bitrates.  Cloudflare also calculates jitter to see if this is a potential problem.
Now try those same tests when you're network bandwidth is being used with heavy streaming from Emby.

I'll bet that speedtest.net will still show a high rate while cloudflare.com will drop because it's doing a better, more realistic test.  You'll also see jitter rise a bit as well.

Now try:
https://testmy.net/latency?addr=cloudflare.com
https://testmy.net/latency?addr=youtube.com
Try the other locations on that as well.

This site uses TCP vs ICMP pings which is much more accurate and your ISP isn't going to let those packets through as a priority giving you false ping times.
This site also has a section at the bottom for you to host a file and be able to accurately test you own site as well which you want to do while your Emby server is at that 50Mb transfer you see.

Latency can play a huge factor in what you can stream.

Now with all that said, 50Mb just sounds odd and really sounds like your provider is limiting to.  The test above will help a lot to figure this out.  While streaming to a client, run all three of those tests and report back what you get from each of them or just grab a few screen shots.

I half expect speedtest.net to still be high, Cloudflare to be pretty realistic of bandwidth available and testmy.net to show throttling from your provider.

• 1 month later...
caffeineshock
On 11/7/2021 at 6:49 PM, cayars said:

Try this simple thing.

Test your speed from any computer on your network at:
https://www.speedtest.net/
https://speed.cloudflare.com/

I bet you will see a disappointing difference in bitrates.  Cloudflare also calculates jitter to see if this is a potential problem.
Now try those same tests when you're network bandwidth is being used with heavy streaming from Emby.

I'll bet that speedtest.net will still show a high rate while cloudflare.com will drop because it's doing a better, more realistic test.  You'll also see jitter rise a bit as well.

Now try:
https://testmy.net/latency?addr=cloudflare.com
https://testmy.net/latency?addr=youtube.com
Try the other locations on that as well.

This site uses TCP vs ICMP pings which is much more accurate and your ISP isn't going to let those packets through as a priority giving you false ping times.
This site also has a section at the bottom for you to host a file and be able to accurately test you own site as well which you want to do while your Emby server is at that 50Mb transfer you see.

Latency can play a huge factor in what you can stream.

Now with all that said, 50Mb just sounds odd and really sounds like your provider is limiting to.  The test above will help a lot to figure this out.  While streaming to a client, run all three of those tests and report back what you get from each of them or just grab a few screen shots.

I half expect speedtest.net to still be high, Cloudflare to be pretty realistic of bandwidth available and testmy.net to show throttling from your provider.

i did setup a test-vm to exclude the system where the actual emby-server is installed to cause the problem
i did download several jellyfin-testfiles and well... everything as expected: i get slown down by something
here are the messurements while watching a high bitrate file (bitrate ~100mbit so it has to stop the playback every few seconds because of the limited upload)
i did them without ssl (since it did not have any impact on the results in the past). 

image.thumb.png.cc32bc1bed5cd2139c4fdec3657f8807.png

image.png.8ed81406fa9bb05c715906aa4c258302.png

image.thumb.png.e528be27f1bde4529b88e56a8b4a411f.png

On 11/7/2021 at 2:58 PM, ebr said:

Your ISP is undoubtedly smart enough to recognize the speedtest sites and will do everything it can to not block or shape that I would imagine.

youre probably right. i cannot imagine anything that can cause that slowdown on my side (like router, firewall, modem or switch)

caffeineshock

okay.... new information

i just created a vpn between the server with the strange limitation and a random client that has ~250mbit download

guess what? its not your fault emby :D it really is some funky isp-magic: 50mbit max. tranferrate...
but uploading to google drive works with over 200mbit upload... WTF

i would like to find out why but since its not only emby i think we can close this one

Edited by caffeineshock
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, caffeineshock said:

okay.... new information

i just created a vpn between the server with the strange limitation and a random client that has ~250mbit download

guess what? its not your fault emby :D it really is some funky isp-magic: 50mbit max. tranferrate...

i would like to find out why but since its not only emby i think we can close this one

Thanks for the feedback.

22 hours ago, caffeineshock said:

okay.... new information

Could very well be Google is at one of more of the exchanges that your ISP uses.  In that case your ISP can hand off the data directly to Google without ever touching the "Internet".
Kind of like the way Netflix co-located data servers at the exchanges to move the media closer to the user. In this fashion, you don't actually touch the Internet playing back Netflix if it's co-located at an exchange your ISP uses.

So the simple answer is there isn't one. :) It all depends on services available to the ISP and what their costs are to deliver your data.

caffeineshock
10 hours ago, cayars said:

Could very well be Google is at one of more of the exchanges that your ISP uses.  In that case your ISP can hand off the data directly to Google without ever touching the "Internet".
Kind of like the way Netflix co-located data servers at the exchanges to move the media closer to the user. In this fashion, you don't actually touch the Internet playing back Netflix if it's co-located at an exchange your ISP uses.

So the simple answer is there isn't one. :) It all depends on services available to the ISP and what their costs are to deliver your data.

yep might be. but since i already tested (with emby) a connection between the server and a client which were on the "same provider network" this is not the reason i think (both were on mnet still had only 50mbit)
however, the provider is the issue and that vpn result is the proof i needed

Yep, I'd agree with your finding as well about the 50mbit throughput as the provider is most certainly doing something to limit it.

caffeineshock

well... as expected
provider refues to admit. "we do not shape traffic" "check your modem / router etc" "then it might be the client that cannot transfer that fast OR the protocoll" yeah sure...

i could initiate legal actions... i really dont like to (i know, different topic)

anyone any idea how to prevent this from happening? how to prevent package inspection? 

vpn to a server which is known to have no limitation to "me" and then do everything from there? the only solution i can think of which could work but will also add additional complexity and costs...
i would like to do something localy (like encryption that does not help).

im even ready to pay for a solution that saves me from the provider-legal-trouble :D 

edit--------------

i cannot switch the provider. the provider owns the fibre and thats why im forced to have contract with him 

Edited by caffeineshock

• 3 months later...
  • Solution
caffeineshock

its been a long time but ill update this topic anyway

the issue was not isp-magic, not the fibre or firewall or anything you would think of
not even the router BUT it was the modem

idk why but after enabling hardware-acceleration i am able to get the fullbandwith not only on "some" speedtest but also on regular fileuploads and, yes, streams from emby

• Like 1

pwhodges

Problems can appear in the strangest places.  I once had a 1Gbps switch which limited http packets (and nothing else) to 25Mbps. I even had my ISP's engineers out to check the line (as a result of which it was improved, so I gained there!).

It turned out to be a firmware issue that only appeared in a single version of the firmware, and only on a single specific version of the switch - which I had bought...  You may wonder why a switch would even bother to know the type of a packet; but it was a managed switch, so of course had to be able to pick out http packets in case they were for management.

Paul