Roughly how big should a 4k video movie be on average for optimal play

ng4ever

ng4ever

Like how big are Netflix 4k movies on their server give or take in your opinion ? HDR ones too. 

Mods sorry: Please move to off topic. Posted in wrong section :( 

Edited by ng4ever

Deathsquirrel

Netflix's 4K bitrate is lower than most blu-ray rips and, while more efficient codecs reduce the impact of that, I wouldn't call their 4K quality something to aspire to if you're starting with discs.

To answer your question though, there is no one answer.  It depends on your playback devices, server horsepower, number of remote users storage limits/budget, bandwidth, etc.  For me the optimal size is whatever the disc rip is.  My playback devices are shields which can handle that output just fine, I'm not worried about storage, and I have zero users outside my house.  Change some of those factors and storing or playing back 70-100Mb/s 4K videos wouldn't make a heck of a lot of sense.

• Agree 1

ember1205
18 hours ago, Deathsquirrel said:

Netflix's 4K bitrate is lower than most blu-ray rips and, while more efficient codecs reduce the impact of that, I wouldn't call their 4K quality something to aspire to if you're starting with discs.

To answer your question though, there is no one answer.  It depends on your playback devices, server horsepower, number of remote users storage limits/budget, bandwidth, etc.  For me the optimal size is whatever the disc rip is.  My playback devices are shields which can handle that output just fine, I'm not worried about storage, and I have zero users outside my house.  Change some of those factors and storing or playing back 70-100Mb/s 4K videos wouldn't make a heck of a lot of sense.

With the exception of the server horsepower piece, I agree. Server horsepower mostly doesn't come into play unless you're transcoding at the server and that changes the bitrate discussion a bit. If you're raw streaming the content to an app that's handling the decoding / transcoding on the remote device, then the only hardware that really matters involves the networking pieces.