2 different actors, same name, seperate in UI possibly?

gillmacca01
Go to solution Solved by pünktchen,

gillmacca01

I have just added 'John Bishop' (British actor) to series 13 of Doctor Who, unfortunately it has added a john bishop (american actor) that is already in my database.

Is there a way to separate the 2 actors (ideally within the Emby UI)?

Happy2Play

I don't thinks so as the linking is coming from item metadata, and this linking is happening in the database.  So manually a same named person manually will not create any new linking.

Luke would have to add something this a people query when adding a person so you choose if existing person is correct or new person to the database and you provide the properids.  Similar to how the online provider do it, show existing or create new.

I think your only option is adjusting this within the database, but @Lukewould have to confirm this.

• Solution
pünktchen

You have to rename every occurence of the new "John Bishop" in the Cast & Crew metadata of every episode, show or movie to something like "John Bishop 2". Then you have to identify "John Bishop 2" with either the tmdb or imdb id. After that you can rename the person "John Bishop 2" (not the cast) back to "John Bishop". The cast names will be adjusted automatically by Emby.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Happy2Play

Luke would have to implement something similar to this for manually adding People to items in this same named people environment with a New person option that is further down the list in this example.

image.png.7699357afec7cf94f4b002ea46d7c5e2.png

But pünktchen's method is what I did in the past.

But in the end if you could add this person to the provider sites this would/should resolve the Emby issue as the item would return the person with properid.

• Like 1

gillmacca01

@pünktchenthanks for the tip about adding a number at the end and remove afterwards, works a treat.

@Happy2Playlove the screenshot, that would look cool, if it ever happened

MBSki
12 minutes ago, cayars said:

What we actually need to do is use themoviedb ID (or other id) as part of the unique name just like you would see them here:
https://www.themoviedb.org/person/216049-john-bishop
https://www.themoviedb.org/person/1145861-john-bishop

Both john bishop but have distinct IDs.

Same thing for this issue too right? Seems like the same issue.

pünktchen
28 minutes ago, cayars said:

What we actually need to do is use themoviedb ID (or other id) as part of the unique name just like you would see them here:
https://www.themoviedb.org/person/216049-john-bishop
https://www.themoviedb.org/person/1145861-john-bishop

Both john bishop but have distinct IDs.

Emby already pays attention to the provider id that is linked to a person in the database.
The problem is the old tvdb api and therefore the tvdb plugin, as tvdb doesn't return a unique person id. So how should Emby know who is who?
With the tmdb provider all is fine with different persons with the same name.

• Thanks 1

Yes it's a bit of a problem with mixed meta sources.
It could be reduced by using imdb and themoviedb ids as much as possible but an issue would still be there.

MBSki
3 minutes ago, cayars said:

Yes it's a bit of a problem with mixed meta sources.
It could be reduced by using imdb and themoviedb ids as much as possible but an issue would still be there.

So, where are we at with this? There's got to be something that isn't too much trouble to get it working better than how it works now.

MBSki
3 minutes ago, cayars said:

I'm the wrong person to ask. :)

Unless all meta-data providers have an ID for people I'm not sure how this could be solved due to the reasons already mentioned by @pünktchen & @Happy2Play.

Why do ALL meta-data providers need an ID? Can't we PREFER 1 metadata provider over the others? 

@Luke What's the solution for this issue? It appears to be affecting multiple areas.

Well you of course could do that now by removing meta-data providers you don't like the info from.
Then refresh all meta-data.

MBSki
16 minutes ago, cayars said:

Well you of course could do that now by removing meta-data providers you don't like the info from.
Then refresh all meta-data.

Bit that removes ALL the metadata right? I'm not sure where I would configure this either. Here's what I have for my movies library. Shouldn't it already be pulling the correct IDs from TMDB?

SmartSelect_20211102-151054_Emby.jpg

It's not something I would do personally but the option is there to configure your meta-data providers how you see fit.
But that's really not a good answer and I know that. I just don't have anything better to offer/say right now.

MBSki
Just now, cayars said:

It's not something I would do personally but the option is there to configure your meta-data providers how you see fit.
But that's really not a good answer and I know that. I just don't have anything better to offer/say right now.

😅 Ok, yea, I don't think it's a solution as it would cause worse issues elsewhere. So I'm back to.... @Luke what's the potential solution here to ensure each person is uniquely identified?

Happy2Play

But these are two totally separate issue discussed here now.

Manually adding a same named actor to a item is nowhere near the same issue as Favoriting a actor linking every actor with that name as the same.

Edited by Happy2Play

MBSki
Just now, Happy2Play said:

But these are two totally separate issue discussed here now.

Manually adding a same named actor to a item is nowhere near the same issue as Favoriting a actor linking every actor with that name as the same.

Ok, sorry. Thought it was related to the fact that id's for the actors aren't getting pulled in. No problem. I'll post in the other thread.

Happy2Play

No this is about adding a person to media that has the same name and not being able to add the correct one to the media.

But if one writes nfo files, all they should have to do is manually update the providerid in the media metadata for the person now.  As of today's nfo plugin change. @gillmacca01

• Thanks 2

Happy2Play

Sorry this nfo update looks like it many be still only beta 4.7+.

• Like 1