Moving from Windows to NAS, best option

vanleeuwen

vanleeuwen

Hi all, i want to move away from a PC as a server and use a NAS. Is there a recommended NAS for EMBY ? e.g. most likely to remain supported, least issues etc? I had a NAS in the last but after support was dropped i couldn't use it anymore so would like to be a bit more informed this time 😁

Hi, Synology NAS is probably the most supported NAS as far as Emby goes.  By this I mean user base and knowledge of people on the forums to help you.

However, with that said it may or may not be a good fit compared to what you have now.  A PC can be many times more powerful in both CPU and GPU then most NAS boxes.
How much overall storage in TB are you currently using?
Do you stream outside the house or is this just for in house use?

Those would be the starting questions to get a better idea of your situation.

vanleeuwen

Thanks for the info. I have around 15TB of data currently over 2 10TB drives. I use WMC as the may to watch but I am using it much less and using a FIreTV stick for a lot of content now so would like to ditch MCE and just have the option to play my Music/Video (home videos and mvk movies & TV/Photos on the FireTV/Android TV instead.

Is a NAS a good idea of am i best to stick with the current setup for now ?

THanks

It would be great for that and since NAS boxes are low powered you can leave them on 24/7.

But just something to think about, you could install Emby Server on your PC if you haven't already and use Emby that way as well.

vanleeuwen

Cool i will look for a Synology  NAS. I have used EMBY for years on WMC but now the FireTV is mostly used its a pain to turn the PC on when ever I want to watch my own content. Would be good for it to be always on and accessible via FireTV.