Will the metadata saved in the media folder be cached?

jtding
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Will the metadata saved in the media folder be stored in the cache folder of Emby after being scanned?

I've mounted the Google Drive by rclone, and I've scrapped all the metadata including posters in the media folder. Now I'm worring about the API limitation and the speed to access these metadata.

After being scanned will the metadata and posters can be stored in the Emby database and cache folder? or Emby will access the metadata and posters on the GDrive every time I use?

• Solution

Hi, sort of, yes. We don't make a copy of the original poster, but the output after resizing for Emby apps is cached.

So that's why I'm saying yes, sort of, because if you use lots of different apps, it will still require multiple hits per poster to get cached versions created for all of the different sizes required.

We plan to offer an option in future updates to cache a complete copy of the original file.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
embylad892746
On 11/2/2021 at 5:54 PM, Luke said:

Hi, sort of, yes. We don't make a copy of the original poster, but the output after resizing for Emby apps is cached.

So that's why I'm saying yes, sort of, because if you use lots of different apps, it will still require multiple hits per poster to get cached versions created for all of the different sizes required.

We plan to offer an option in future updates to cache a complete copy of the original file.

Any updates on this Luke? Is there an ability to cache the original file?

Storing metadata and thumbnails next to media is preferable to me but I’m scared of performance hits since my media is on slow storage unless with cache, it would not effect speed (except the first hit)

4 hours ago, embylad892746 said:

Any updates on this Luke? Is there an ability to cache the original file?

Storing metadata and thumbnails next to media is preferable to me but I’m scared of performance hits since my media is on slow storage unless with cache, it would not effect speed (except the first hit)

Hi, not yet,, but it's planned for future updates. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

embylad892746

Thanks @Luke, 1 last question. What will happen if the i select "store video preview thumbnails + metadata next to media files" , if i already have them stored in the database?

Will emby copy the current metadata + thumnails across to the drives then delete them from database? Or will this trigger a complete library rebuild?

28 minutes ago, embylad892746 said:

Thanks @Luke, 1 last question. What will happen if the i select "store video preview thumbnails + metadata next to media files" , if i already have them stored in the database?

Will emby copy the current metadata + thumnails across to the drives then delete them from database? Or will this trigger a complete library rebuild?

From the top of the dialog:

image.png

So nothing will happen for existing content, until there is a metadata refresh. Then it will get saved using the new settings.

• Thanks 1