Wrong language

mvbenz
Go to solution Solved by speechles,

I've been having an issue where anime is playing in Japanese only using the roku app instead of English. Nothing I do will change that. 

I loaded the IOS app and it plays in English fine on my phone. 

I've gone as far as factory reset the roku and completely Uninstall emby from my windows system I use as a media server  including all settings and caches and reinstall everything along with building a new library. 

Anyone else see this? I also tried the roku media player and it did the same thing. 

I should note I have two roku premium devices that have the same issue and it works fine with the web app off a PC. 

Edited by mvbenz

pwhodges

What happens when you select the English track, either before or during play?

Are the Japanese and English tracks using different encodings (e.g. AC-3, AAC)?  This would admittedly be unusual, but not actually rare.

Just as reassurance that this can be fixed, I have loads of anime, and they all play whichever language I tell them to in every client (including Roku) - regardless of the encoding.

Paul

• Solution

Are both the Japanese and English tracks marked as default? I am guessing Japanese is listed first with default. Then English listed second with default. This will confuse the Roku. There should only be one default. You can use MKVToolNix GUI to fix the defaults without re-encoding the file. You just alter the header flag for the defaults and remove them. Or set English only as the one and only default. I am sure this is your problem. The Roku cannot handle multiple audio streams set to default. Only the first audio stream set to default will be playable. This sounds like your problem to me. You just need to fix those defaults. ;)

pwhodges

Interesting.  As an aside, I note that since a recent release, MKVToolNix marks two tracks as default in many more circumstances than used to be the case, such that I now have to take extra care to remove the unwanted default flags.

Paul

THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!

I downloaded MKVToolNix and sure enough each affected video had two default audio tracks tagged. I turned off the ones labeled jp and it works fine now. Its weird that this started as when we watched one of the affected videos maybe a year ago, it was fine. 

18 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, by language do you mean the audio track?

Yes, the audio tracks.

Seems like the Roku channel/app for emby seems to have an issue with multiple audio tracks marked as default. It worked maybe a year ago just fine but I noticed when we went to watch one of the videos the other day I could not get it to play EN audio. Using the Roku app, it showed both languages as options but it always defaulted to the jp audio file even if it was set to en. I tested this with the IOS app and it worked as expected and using the web interface off my laptop it worked fine so it pointed to the Roku app.

I tried removing and reinstalling the Roku channel but no luck. I factory resetting the Roku but no luck. I completely uninstalled and reinstalled the emby server on my windows system I use to run it and no luck.

I used the suggestion I tagged as a solution to work around it by setting the audio track labeled jp to Default: No leaving the en marked track as Default: Yes. Now it works as expected.

12 hours ago, mvbenz said:

Seems like the Roku channel/app for emby seems to have an issue with multiple audio tracks marked as default

Hi.  Just for clarification, it is the Roku system itself that has this problem as you saw when you did this:

On 10/31/2021 at 11:16 PM, mvbenz said:

I also tried the roku media player and it did the same thing

6 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Just for clarification, it is the Roku system itself that has this problem as you saw when you did this:

Yes. Both of my roku units exhibited the issue using the Emby app from the roku channel store. 

My iPhone worked fine using the emby app from the apple app store and using just a web browser from my laptop worked fine. 

Last time I watched these videos was about a year ago and they played fine using emby on the roku. This time they only would play the Japanese audio track and never the English track no matter what I did. 

We'll see if there's anything we can tighten up here, or if we're just at the mercy of the Roku video player. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
43 minutes ago, donalexinder24 said:

THNAKS YOU SAVE ME

I live to serve 😁.  Glad this was an easy fix once it was figured out....

• Like 1