Roku can't find local server movie with voice command

jwhwab
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

I have Emby Server (EmbyCon addon for Kodi) on Windows 10 PC going through a Roku Ultra to play movies on TV. The play back is good, all the controls work fine and I'm pretty satisfied with it. The one thing I can't get to work is the Roku voice search to find movie titles in my local server. I get the voice message "not found in Emby" and it finds the correct title in other apps including Plex. I must be doing something wrong - I'm new to this kind of set up. Can someone give me some ideas? Thanks

• Solution
4 minutes ago, jwhwab said:

it finds the correct title in other apps including Plex

Hi.  Are you sure it is finding your local title?

The way that Roku search works requires that we provide them with a global list of content.  We don't have that since you all have your own content.  Therefore, unfortunately, we are not compatible with their global search.

Thanks for the quick response. Roku is finding the correct movie - Scrooged. My title is not the same but Scrooged is the first word. So each media app provides a global list of content? Does the Roku voice command search for the text in the title or something else?

15 minutes ago, jwhwab said:

Roku is finding the correct movie - Scrooged. My title is not the same but Scrooged is the first word

If you click the item returned in the search for the other guys, exactly where does it take you?

The icon that shows up is labeled "Movies from Roku". Click on that it takes me to an offer to rent the movie from Prime, Vudu, etc. I tried the movie Eraser this time.

22 hours ago, jwhwab said:

The icon that shows up is labeled "Movies from Roku". Click on that it takes me to an offer to rent the movie from Prime, Vudu, etc. I tried the movie Eraser this time.

Right those are all global services but you said your local content from your other server showed up as well...

No, using Roku voice search to find a movie does not return local content. Roku recognizes Emby as a server but the voice search returns "not found in Emby"

On 10/31/2021 at 11:13 AM, jwhwab said:

and it finds the correct title in other apps including Plex

Hi.  This is what I'm referring to.

I didn't pay much attention to where the Roku Plex app picked up that particular movie but I didn't have a local Plex server set up and running, only Emby. I think the Plex app in Roku had picked the movie up from its content providers. You stated before that Roku search works from a global list of content. Is it possible to provide the Roku box with a list from the local server?

1 hour ago, jwhwab said:

Is it possible to provide the Roku box with a list from the local server?

The ID generated by the search algorithm need a predetermined content list with names, id, etc in an XML and given to Roku. Roku can then match your titles to both a media ID to play and an application ID to play it with. In the case of Emby, the ID generated are unique for each server how the media are identified. There is no way to give Roku a list of everything ever produced with ID numbers and then use that giant list to keep all the Emby servers around the world in sync. That would be a monumental and impossible task. Roku has a single list each application provides to search. A global content list. This makes it not useful for the particular purpose you have in mind.

Edited by speechles

2 hours ago, jwhwab said:

I didn't have a local Plex server set up and running

Okay, that's what I thought.  That search result was, indeed, going to take you to one of their content providers.  Emby doesn't work that way.  We are your personal media server :).

Thanks for the explanation. The problem I was having was the awkward way of entering text with the Roku remote. I found that Roku has a mobile app remote and it works much better. Thank you for your help.

• Thanks 1