Emby app language problem

anhil
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

I live and use Emby in Finland, which is a bilingual country (Finnish /Swedish) in similar way like Canada (English/French). Officially, there also more recognized languages, but that is not relevant in my case. Due to this bilinguality, the program guides of terrestrial and cable television are also bilingual and they pick the language to be used based on the chosen Android UI language. I would prefer to use English as my Android UI language, but when those program guides notice English chosen,  many of them present their information in mixture of Finnish and Swedish. I do not like to see Swedish there and therefore I have been forced to select Finnish as my Android UI language.

Now, many programs running in Android TV give you the opportunity to choose the language to be used within the app and do not automatically just revert to the chosen Android UI language. Unfortunately Emby Android TV does not offer this possibility and therefore for me Emby Android TV is displayed in Finnish, due to the fact I have been forced to choose the Android UI language to be Finnish as explained above.

Could it be possible to add a language selector to Emby Android TV or is there an other way around this problem? Please do not suggest, that I contact our national broadcasters and ask them to fix the language problem in the program guides, it is like asking the mountain to come to Muhammad...

I am using Emby Android TV on my TCL 43C725 television running Android TV 11.
My Emby Server 4.7.0.15 beta is running in QNAP NAS TS-873A with QuTS hero h5.0.0.1772 build 20210826 public beta.

GrimReaper

Nope, currently there is no option to change app langusge, same issue was brought up just last week in beta thread (click arrow top-right, else you're in for a loooong read):

1 hour ago, ebr said:

If you side-load the standard app you can override the language I believe.

I am not aware of this procedure - is it a standard adb install option or some sort of a hack of the whole Android OS?
If I have understood it correctly, all existing methods to select the language used by individual apps are based on the fact that your device is rooted.

• Solution
29 minutes ago, anhil said:

I am not aware of this procedure - is it a standard adb install option or some sort of a hack of the whole Android OS?
If I have understood it correctly, all existing methods to select the language used by individual apps are based on the fact that your device is rooted.

Hi.  No, you just side load this app:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  No, you just side load this app:

Now I got the point. I initially thought that the magic lies in sideloading process but it was all about using the general Android version of the Emby app and not the Android TV version.

Yes, with the built in language selector of the general Android version the problem is solved. In addition I got the configurability of the general Android app which is somewhat limited in the Android TV version. Two flies with one hit. Nice, since I always thought that the general version would not even install nor run in Android TV 11 and therefore never even bothered to give it a try :)