MBC crashing in TV Series

GrotShot
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

mboehler

If you go into the web client and bring up a detail page on anything and then replace the item id in the url with the one below, what do you get?

5aac1ed5-0ea2-1677-e0c0-7ed8c088ba3b

I get the Looney Tunes TV series.  See attached image.

post-123-0-88627100-1381803666_thumb.jpg

MBC has also been very problematic the last couple of days.  No changes have been made recently, and there are no events I can see that would be related in event viewer.  I use subdued theme.  At times I can barely even do anything.  I get the dreaded 'not responding' error (although I have found in the past if you select 'cancel' you will be able to resume navigation) just trying to browse TV from the EHS.

Okay, that was just a shot in the dark because it happened to be the last thing MBC attempted to retrieve.  The logs aren't doing me any good here because there are no errors.  If we can't find what is actually happening in the event log and I can't reproduce it, I am out of ideas other than to try and start narrowing it down to some part of the library.

You all say it is TV causing the issue.  The only other thing I can think of to try is to start with a very small TV library and see if it causes the problem.  Then slowly add more and more to it until the problem occurs and maybe we will discover something.

Wait a minute, maybe I just stumbled on something.  Didn't seem related because it is way at the beginning of the log but it is strange.

Do all of you have your OfficialRating field locked in the metadata settings?

mboehler

Okay, that was just a shot in the dark because it happened to be the last thing MBC attempted to retrieve.  The logs aren't doing me any good here because there are no errors.  If we can't find what is actually happening in the event log and I can't reproduce it, I am out of ideas other than to try and start narrowing it down to some part of the library.

You all say it is TV causing the issue.  The only other thing I can think of to try is to start with a very small TV library and see if it causes the problem.  Then slowly add more and more to it until the problem occurs and maybe we will discover something.

I'm going to start doing that now.  Thanks!

Out of curiosity.  I was watching the server log while browsing through tv shows on the other PC.  This came up.  What does it mean?

2013-10-15 08:18:28.0958, Error, DtoUtils, ServiceBase2013-10-15 08:18:32.7521, Error, DtoUtils, ServiceBase2013-10-15 08:18:34.5178, Error, DtoUtils, ServiceBase2013-10-15 08:18:47.5647, Error, DtoUtils, ServiceBase

mboehler

Wait a minute, maybe I just stumbled on something.  Didn't seem related because it is way at the beginning of the log but it is strange.

Yes, I do on some shows...  And also some movies...

Out of curiosity.  I was watching the server log while browsing through tv shows on the other PC.  This came up.  What does it mean?

I can't tell without seeing the rest of it.

mboehler

I think you are on to something here.  I just went through ALL my TV shows and Movies and unlocked everything. In some I had disabled Metadata fetching completely, and in some I just had Parental Rating disabled.

Since unlocking all that, it has not crashed once!  

Is this something you can fix in an upcoming release?  Or should we just leave things unlocked?

Thanks, ebr!

GrotShot

Yes, I have the Parental Rating set to not update as the server kept changing my GB ratings back to US.

On a slight aside, this field is called Parental Rating in some locations and Official Rating in others, slightly confusing.

I don't have any Parental Ratings enabled.  Here are two log files from the latest crashes.  Right now all I need to do to make it crash is to quickly scroll through my collection (can be either TV or Movies).  That will result in the error message in pic 1 from post 10, but last night I was seeing more of the second picture.

The second picture if you hit cancel eventually you will be able to resume whatever you were doing.  This error seems very random, and I do not see any references to it in the log file.  I have seen this error going back to MB2.

I have cover art & rotten tomatoes for the server, and only subdued for the client.

MBClassic-15102013d2af143476964a40b9ab276f7e97d0cc.log

MBClassic-15102013c4ceeafdebda4ce09915021af9b4c92e.log

mboehler

I have a <LockData> field, but that is false for all TV shows.

It's this option here that seems to be causing the problems.

post-123-0-45596900-1381859531_thumb.jpg

Where is that located?  I looked all through the server dashboard, but did not see anything like this.

mboehler
Where is that located?  I looked all through the server dashboard, but did not see anything like this.

Go into your library using the web browser (dashboard).  You can click the Media Browser logo in the top left to get to your library.

mblogo_zps82097437.jpg

Then edit a TV show:

Edit_zps3a28ad44.jpg

You will see this:

edit1_zpsc5eac38b.jpg

Then scroll down and click on this:

edit3_zpsba1ebaea.jpg

Edited by mboehler
  • Like 1

• Solution

If the locked field is the problem, then it is a mis-match between data types on the server vs. MBC and the dev build of MBC I just put up will fix it.

I'm not convinced that is what everyone is seeing though.  I think some of these are theme issues.

mboehler

If the locked field is the problem, then it is a mis-match between data types on the server vs. MBC and the dev build of MBC I just put up will fix it.

I'm not convinced that is what everyone is seeing though.  I think some of these are theme issues.

Should I download the dev version and try it?

You are probably right that different people are experiencing different issues.  "MBC Crashing in TV Series" could cover a lot of different issues.

If you don't mind installing the dev version, I'd like to know if that was your issue.  There are a lot of other changes in there too so, if you experience problems with it, you can always re-install the current beta from the website.

mboehler

If you don't mind installing the dev version, I'd like to know if that was your issue.  There are a lot of other changes in there too so, if you experience problems with it, you can always re-install the current beta from the website.

Well it looks like that did it.  I installed the latest Dev version (Server version 3.0.5036.25817, MB Classic version 3.0.75.0 B10-15.1) and then locked some of the Parental Controls in my TV shows..  I've been testing it for about an hour now, and it hasn't crashed yet.

Okay, thanks guys.  It was an obscure server change I didn't realize was there.

If you guys don't mind, would you also please test out the indexing functionality?

• Like 1

mboehler

Okay, thanks guys.  It was an obscure server change I didn't realize was there.

If you guys don't mind, would you also please test out the indexing functionality?

Hey ebr,  

Indexing does seem to be working.  I've discovered some errors with the metadata for some of my items though.  So I need to go fix that now, LOL.  I think it got entered incorrectly and has nothing to do with MB3.

I have tried indexing Movies, and TV Series and it worked fine. I tried Podcasts, but it only seemed to work right when indexing was set to None.  I suspect that is normal behavior though...

I don't have the trailers plugin installed because I could never get it to work right.  Nor do I have any music, books, games, or photos, so I couldn't try those either.