NextPVR and Recordings

Marlor

Hi, 

As I discussed elsewhere, I have two tuners that aren't directly supported by Emby. My hope is that soon I will be able to use emby for all my live TV needs with direct support for tuners (happy to test as well!) but while that doesn't happen I have been exploring my options. 

So far I have been using DVBViewer as the Backend and, because the plug-in doesn't allow me to use Emby's core features like it's own channel management and EPG support, I have been using the M3U method instead as DVBViewer allows the exporting of a playlist. This has had its positives, as it means I can manage all my TV in Emby directly while we wait for direct tuner support. However, one issue I have been having is that tuning via M3U is really slow, and a channel takes between 15-20 to load, so things like channel surfing or rapid tuning aren't possible (if I use DVBViewer Pro changing channels takes 1 second or less, but it seems Emby's handling of M3U does slow things down considerably). 

I am now looking into NextPVR through its plugin and it does seem considerably faster than using a playlist, although not as fast as DVBViewer. 

So in my testing I tried to schedule a recording but once it was scheduled it didn't show up in Emby's schedule tab to the point I initially thought I was coming across an error. However, upon further inspection I noticed it did register in NextPVR and was there in the server. 

I understand that using NextPVR with the plugin means that everything is handled on the NextPVR's side but I was surprised that the recordings wouldn't be registered in emby which to me isn't a good solution as I rely on Emby's schedule tab to manage my recordings. 

Is this a feature or am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to see our scheduled recordings in Emby? Please let me know because if there isn't, it won't be a viable solution for me. It also means I am running out of ideal options and am really looking forward to the day Emby will support PCIe tuners. 

I'd like to say, however, both Emby and NextPVR are excellent options in their own right and I really like both. It's just that I would like to only need to use one software for my needs and I already use emby for all my other media so it makes sense for me to keep trying emby for live TV for the time being. 

Thank you for your support and hard work. 

arrbee99

I just scheduled a recording in Emby using NextPVR and it showed up in the Emby Scedule (and in the NextPVR schedule).

I checked a few minutes later and it was gone from Emby schedule. It says its recording now.

I scheduled another recording for straight after the first. It shows up in Emby and NextPVR schedules for now. Wonder if the second recording will disappear from Emby when it actually starts recording (or if its coincidence).

Should mention I'm on Latest Emby beta server, latest NextPVR server but I haven't updated the NextPVR plugin to the latest version.

Hi arrbee99, thank you for testing this for me. I will try it again with schedules for recording right now and later. It may be that once it starts recording it disappears but if while it doesn't start it will show. 

So the next question is, can you see it in emby as an active recording? I can if i am using the playlist method so I can see what is recording at the time but I can't see it if it is a NextPVR recording? 

I am also on the latest server (beta) 4.7.0.15 but not sure it is relevant in this case. 

arrbee99

Testing obviously somewhat less than extensive...

Still have the red dots (or dots atm) in the guide, if it matters. Nothing shows in the Dashboard, never has for me though I believe it does if you just use Embys built in tv stuff. Get a red dot if you look under Programs and Channels as well.

As mentioned, the plugin is not up to date, which might not matter, but then again it might.

Not sure if this helps much, just thought I'd chime in...

Thank you arrbee99, it helps a lot as you're relating your experience and I can compare so thank you for taking time.

Yes, I get the red dot as well although it is very useful to see what is recording at the time (as you can if you manage your recordings directly in emby) which you see on the main screen with a red bar at the bottom of the recording to tell you how long it has been recording/how long left until the recording ends. That is a great feature and one that is really useful for me to make sure I don't exceed my tuner's limits as a recording counts as a viewing so it is useful to make sure I know how many tuners are in use at one given time. 

I suppose that is the issue with plugins. I have been trying different approaches to manage live TV in Emby with my tuners and they all fall short in one thing or another, that is why I am really looking forward to direct tuner support. 

Thank you again arrbee99, for your help and kindness. 

arrbee99

After it moved on to the second recording here it disappeared from the Emby Schedule page (well it disappeared after I refreshed the page). Might possibly qualify as a pattern.

Forgot to scroll down to the red bar, it is nice.

The new tuner stuff they're working should indeed be very good, but as mentioned elsewhere, its a biggy and will still take a while apparently.

If the item disappearing from Schedules is a bug, am sure it'll get looked at, by Luke or Emveepee.

I really need to get over this urge to always make the last comment 😀

Thank you, it is good to know that it is a feature of the plugin then - at least we know that it is not something we can remedy immediately. Thank you for confirming. And back to the drawing board 😀

I will stop replying now so please have the last word 😅😅 - thank you again for testing this. 

emveepee

If you tell me specifically what is missing with the plugin I might be able to fix it.  I don't use Emby so I don't know what I am looking for.  I know a few years ago Luke added a recording push but I don't know if there is a push method for timers.  If not if Emby sees a recording in progress from a push event it should request a timer update.

NextPVR should be taking care of scheduling and tuners counts not sure why you would need to view anything in Emby to manage that.

Martin

Hi @emveepeethank you that would be great, I will try to describe it. So if we manage recordings in Emby, we can access scheduled recordings in the schedule tab. Once the recording starts, on the main page it shows the programme recording and the red bar below the recording to indicate how long left in the recording(s)

With the NextPVR plugin, when you schedule a recording, it will also go to the schedule tab but it disappears the moment the recording begins. So if you go in, you no longer find it in the schedule tab or know it is recording (or how many recordings are active) from within emby. You would need to go to the NPVR server and check whether there is anything recording at that moment. It would be nice to have this show in Emby with it only disappearing once the recording has finished.

Would this be possible? 

Thank you in advance. 

@arrbee99I will have to agree with you. 'Pomegranate' is nearly as good as 'Delicatessen'. 

Edited by Marlor
  • Like 1

emveepee

Is there are scheduled task you can run to force updating just the timers?  As I said I don't know any way for the addon to force  GetTimersAsync to be called from Emby core. 

Martin

Hi @emveepee, thank you for your support. I have just check and there is no scheduled task. The recordings just don't show up when they are active so no way to tell whether anything is recording without checking back in the server.

Maybe @Lukeor @cayarscould provide more guidance?

Thank you. 

emveepee

Yes I will need input from @Luke on what to put in the TimerInfo field for in-progess  recordings.  Turns out the GetTimersAsync logic is called quite often.  There more than one  problem I can see

- one-off recordings don't show  their schedule while recording.  Can  cancel via "On Now" so there is a timer link.

- series recordings do show in progress in the schedule  but not as a recording

- in progress recording often show in the NextPVR Recording but not recordings

Martin

Edited by emveepee

Hi Martin, thank you for looking into this. Hopefully Luke will be able to help us 😊

Edited by Marlor

As a test, when it's not showing up in active recordings, try running the refresh guide scheduled task and see if it shows up then.

emveepee

No the same thing, just the in=progress recording.  On the timer does it matter what I set TimerInfo. status to?  It would be the same as the recording.  InProgress.

I like the Halloween theme, nice touch.

Martin.

Edited by emveepee

Me too, today I got a Halloween message with recommendations! 

@Lukestill nothing. Active recordings just won't show and the moment the recording starts, it also leaves the schedule so no evident way to tell.

Thank you. 

emveepee

That's not quite what I see.  Active single recordings do show in "On Now" as red, and in NextPVR recordings and eventually in Recordings.  Active series recordings show in the schedule but the recording updates are not timely.

Martin

I can try again but I can't seem to have it show on the main screen while it is recording. 

In Emby with an active recording it shows on the main screen with a bar showing how long left until the recording ends. I am not sure whether I'm doing something wrong but with the plugin, once the recording begins it doesn't show up on the main screen. You have the dots though, if you check the guide. 

I will try and test it again, I may be doing something wrong. 

Thanks again for checking. 

Right I was just curious if refreshing the guide data solves it at that particular moment in time.

If it does, then I can help emveepee with kicking that off manually based on recording events.

@Luke and @emveepee

I have just tried recording a random show and then refreshing the TV guide. The recording still doesn't show on the home page like it does it Emby is managing recordings directly. But it does show on the guide as a dot and it does show on the "on now" row with red dot and also the bar I was referring to.

This means that if the channel is one of the first ones, you can see the active recording. If is further down in the guide it will obviously not show unless you actually look for it. 

I was wondering whether it is possible to implement that separately like emby does if it manages the recording directly. When that's the case, in the home screen you get the tabs at the top, followed by "on now" row and below it shows all active recordings (separate to the "on now carousel") 

Thank you both! 

Edited by Marlor

emveepee

I know how to trigger an EPG update but there is no way I would trigger one, it is painfully slow.   I thought there might be a flag on TimerInfo I was missing.  I might be able to fake a series timer for single shows but it could be confusing having a cancel series option.

Martin

I understand Martin, thank you for looking at this, and for your support, I really appreciate it. 

@Lukeis as a side note and a bit of off topic, really loving the seasonal theme, such a nice touch!

Thank you both 😊

emveepee

I will consider this an Emby bug unless I hear otherwise.  If you feel you have to monitor in-progress recordings you probably have too much time on your hands anyway.  This could be happening anytime day or night and NextPVR is quite reliable anyway.   Besides assuming you do want to change an in-progress recording you probably want to use NextPVR anyway because the recording capabilities in NextPVR are much more powerful and not all of them could be modified via Emby anyway. 

If it helps NextPVR has options via either a tray app or Windows gadget that will show you the status of your recordings and tuners at a glance.

Martin