DLNA support being added to Media Player app in October Update Preview

SikSlayer

We should have day one support for Xbox One Dlna when it launches (the full release that is).

Given the new server release that dramatically improves our Dlna functions, it shouldn't even take too long once the beta is out.

• Like 2

SikSlayer

It should start flowing out right now.

Reminds me to check if I can get the update.

EDIT: Yup, snagging it now.

Edited by SikSlayer

SikSlayer

I had to enable the "Blast Alive Messages" feature in order to get the Xbox One to see it, but DLNA appears to be working great.

I already had that enabled, but I dunno which is the default or not, I don't remember ever fooling with it.

In any case, it all works pretty well. The Live TV even works! There's no guide, but the list of what's on, as well as my TV channels were there to pick from.

I tried playing a few MKVs, AVIs, MP4s, and those all worked, but I could do nothing except pause the MKVs. Only the AVI and MP4s would allow me to fast forward and rewind.

Just goes to show how well done Media Browser's DLNA implementation is that it works on the Xbox One with no specific work done for it's now DLNA-enabled media player yet.

• Like 1

This is great to hear, im torn on a ps4 or one, I would prefer a ps4 due to the exclusives i like but its annoying me i cant even play music over dlna while gaming and i have no idea when they are going to add even simple dlna the ps3 had since they are selling so many consoles, meanwhile xbox seems to be embracing this. Admittedly i am also more familiar with xbox as well, i preferred the controller.

Edited by Ghostm

SikSlayer

This is great to hear, im torn on a ps4 or one, I would prefer a ps4 due to the exclusives i like but its annoying me i cant even play music over dlna while gaming and i have no idea when they are going to add even simple dlna the ps3 had since they are selling so many consoles, meanwhile xbox seems to be embracing this. Admittedly i am also more familiar with xbox as well, i preferred the controller.

The apps potential is what I think makes the Xbox One the better choice. Plus Microsoft is hungry to appease, so they're giving us everything we want and more. That's why DLNA support is here.

• Like 1