My emby server is no longer discoverable on my home network!

Ian Easson

Ian Easson

I had to do a "network reset" on the main PC (it was randomly disconnected all the other PCs from the PC).  After the reset, I could no longer access the server from other than my main PC.  I discovered that the reset had turned off media sharing.  I turned on all media sharing, but my other PCs could not see the server.  This was evident in file explorer where it showed that while they could see my main PC, emby server doesn't turn up as a media device (it was before the reset).  Now I am in a situation where I can't access my server on my home theater PC, which is a shame.

What can I do to make my server visible as a media device on my home network?

Hi, are you using DLNA to access your media from Emby?
Otherwise you should be able to still use any Emby app or web browser inputting the IP and port number to connect to your server.

Ian Easson

I am not, to the best of my knowledge, using DNLA to access the server.  When I set it up (server and htpc), I just used all the defaults and they worked fine.

As part of my struggling to get my htpc to connect, I have uninstalled emby from the htpc.  I am now trying to reinstall it.  When during installation, I put in the IP address that the server says to use (192.168.1.206), the installation fails to go ahead because it says there is no server there.  However, on the PC where the server is, Windows says that the IP address is 127.0.0.1.

What gives?

Windows says that the IP address is 127.0.0.1.

Hi, where does Windows say this? 127.0.0.1 is the address for localhost. That's something you can only use on the server machine itself.

Ian Easson

In file explorer, there is a list of media devices.  One of these is the emby server.  Tight click on it, and choose Properties.  It says the IP address is 127.0.0.1

1 minute ago, Ian Easson said:

In file explorer, there is a list of media devices.  One of these is the emby server.  Tight click on it, and choose Properties.  It says the IP address is 127.0.0.1

Ok but as I said you can only use that address on the server machine.

Are you able to use the web interface from another device such as a smartphone?

Happy2Play
2 hours ago, Ian Easson said:

In file explorer, there is a list of media devices.

This only exists do to Emby DLNA server but when clicked on take you to Emby web client.  As my test system gave me this when clicked on "http://127.0.0.1:8097/web/index.html#!/home".

image.png.13720d39fafa2182760d6939ad6dd9b0.png

That same Media Device on another computer

image.png.24dbb46194b119b20c4b7f7aead602c0.png

But I can still open a browser and enter localhost:8097 or LANIP:8097 to open the exact same thing.  

Note I have changed the port on this system.

Now if I shut off the DLNA server the Media Device disappears but has zero effect on going to a browser and entering localhost:8097 or LANIP:8097.

And per the linked topics there are DLNA defected where even with the DLNA server enabled there is a possibility Media Device does not appear.

Forget about "localhost" and that literally means to connect to the box you're running the browser on.  So localhost is unique to each and every machine.

What you want to use is the address shown on the Emby Dashboard.

If that address:port doesn't work from another computer on your network you will want to check the server machine for security software and firewall setting that is blocking the connection.