Emby won't connect to my domain anymore

Meyaez

Hello all! Long time reader here.

A friend helped me set up Emby long time ago and recently I upgraded FreeNAS to TrueNAS and as a result Emby stopped working. To be exact, emby-server was not working at all, I was getting an error message that read "emby-server does not exist in /etc/rc.d or the local startup directories or is not executable". After I upgraded TrueNAS and the emby jail to FreBSD 12.2, I did the following commands: 

root@emby: pkg remove emby-server
root@emby: pkg install emby-server
root@emby: service emby-server start

After doing this, I was finally abled to access the GUI. My current version is:

image.png.5d9c04411ef5668d3e38c7f0c465bcdd.png

And the Network menu shows this:

image.png.4f115249acc5cc2847ba053ca731e28e.png

image.png.71840ccce7c790f05c88960f25f90461.png

I'm also attaching log files as I saw from a post on how to post about an issue. Currently, when I try to connect to Emby externally, all I get is a white page:

image.png.47367dd473cac97b7cc90ef536895bdb.png

Where should I look to start debugging the issue? Also, thank you Luke for helping me indirectly a few times before! Lastly, (while I was debugging the issue of Emby not working), I created a new Emby jail and when installing it from scratch, I used the commands from this page. As feedback, I didn't want a beta version, I was looking to install the latest stable release but I have to say that this is not an easy process to do. I managed to find these versions of Emby and I assumed that I needed to install emby-server-freebsd12_4.6.4.0_amd64.txz but since I wasn't sure, I didn't do it because I didn't know in which directory to do the update or which commands to enter.

I have also searched countless pages trying to figure out how to manually update Emby. It's installed in TrueNAS in an iocage but I have found several different versions from users on how to do it but not an official one. Perhaps I didn't look hard enough?

Looking for help and also to help others as well, I'm happy to finally be here!

hardware_detection-63770792877.txt hardware_detection-63770794935.txt embyserver.txt embyserver-63770794868.txt

Edited by Meyaez

Hello Meyaez,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

If your issue is that you can't get to Emby remotely it's likely that your box now has a different IP address then it had before.
So likely the port forwarding that was in place in now pointing to the wrong IP.
This should be an easy fix either changing the destination IP for the port forwarding or changing the IP of your NAS to match the forward rule.

12 hours ago, seanbuff said:

@Meyaez have you tried following the Emby Remote Setup guide? I would start there.
https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44002137137-remote-setup

I did but I can try again.

2 hours ago, cayars said:

If your issue is that you can't get to Emby remotely it's likely that your box now has a different IP address then it had before.
So likely the port forwarding that was in place in now pointing to the wrong IP.
This should be an easy fix either changing the destination IP for the port forwarding or changing the IP of your NAS to match the forward rule.

The IP's did not change. I used IP's that are "reserved" (meaning that they start above 192.168.1.100 for example) to avoid the router changing them periodically. I don't follow the last part of your post very well, could you help me a little more in what you mean?

Would you prefer I offer you remote support and help you fix this?
If so install AnyDesk from www.anydesk.com and send me a PM with your ID you get on launch.

Did you get this fixed or still having a problem?

What reverse proxy are you currently using?
Does it run on the same machine as Emby?

15 hours ago, cayars said:

Did you get this fixed or still having a problem?

What reverse proxy are you currently using?
Does it run on the same machine as Emby?

No, I discovered a few things yesterday morning:

First, all traffic is redirected to IP xxx.xxx.xxx.250 which is the nginx jail my friend helped me with (a proxy):

image.png.3bda42e01bb21e825f14e80282f25c30.png

Now, inspecting the nginx jail I found this under /usr/local/etc/nginx/nginx.conf:

image.png.405d2e910dbdacb3a1ad7f6d5a956aa8.png

What I'm trying to understand is how Emby and Nextcloud are supposed to talk to the nginx proxy (the jails that are not working remotely). What files should I look at in the Emby jail? I should also say that NoIP is set up to point to my public IP address (I don't know if that matters but it is the one provided by my ISP).

Edited by Meyaez

What I would do is setup nginx with the setup @pir8radio has come up with and helps people with.  Should only need slight changes for your environment which are covered in that thread.  You can then test the port is open at canyouseeme.org.  Once you get that working you can then configure Emby Server to work with nginx which will be easy.

7 minutes ago, cayars said:

What I would do is setup nginx with the setup @pir8radio has come up with and helps people with.  Should only need slight changes for your environment which are covered in that thread.  You can then test the port is open at canyouseeme.org.  Once you get that working you can then configure Emby Server to work with nginx which will be easy.

Thanks, let me give it a try!

This is the proxy settings I found about emby (red arrow since it has the same IP address as Emby on TrueNAS):

image.png.1331089b3fce9741f9227c87931d96cf.png

I can't tell what is ok and what is not, that's the part I'm confused. Is it ok if I copy what pir8radio has and test if it works?

I would think if you follow his guide for NGINX setup for Emby you will be in good shape.
Tons of people are following that guide with great success.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cayars said:

I would think if you follow his guide for NGINX setup for Emby you will be in good shape.
Tons of people are following that guide with great success.

I had some issues (because my understanding of how proxy servers is very limited) but I'm happy to report that I was able to fix the issue. Should I post what is it that I did?

• Like 1

seanbuff
39 minutes ago, Meyaez said:

Should I post what is it that I did?

Glad you got it all sorted, well done. Yup, that would be very helpful for our other community members if you could share.

If more details are needed I can provide them but this is what I did. First I noticed that I needed to find a public key and a private one:

image.png.a6b7a5e3fc70354c3c51a902ae1fde1d.png

Since I didn't know which keys I needed, I did a search on that same thread and came to the conclusion that it was the 

fullchain.pem
privkey.pem

Then I noticed that the keys were stored in the path

/usr/local/etc/letsencrypt/live/mydomain.com/fullchain.pem
/usr/local/etc/letsencrypt/live/mydomain.com/privkey.pem

for my current jail so I decided to create a brand new jail named "nginx", copy those keys over, create the same directories, and place those keys (plus 2 more keys that were in that path) in the new nginx jail:

image.png.884c85b1879fae8ecd2e78ac0c39cabc.png

After restarting the new nginx jail with the new keys and nginx.conf file, I still was not able to connect remotely. Then I remembered that all traffic was being redirected to the "old" nginx jail, so I logged into my router, and made sure that ports 80 and 443 were pointing to the new nginx's jail IP.

While remote access to Emby is fixed, I have discovered that a certbot renewal command was being executed on the old jail:

image.png.1794b14ff828041669fc254cba9643b5.png

which means that I need to install certbot on the nginx jail and configure it to renew every 90 days.

• Thanks 2