Sound reverts to stereo from 5.1

MALLINDER

MALLINDER

Using windows 11 and have a new problem, my pc is connected to a AVR system and then to the tv all via HDMI, if I set the speakers in control panel to 5.1 I get 5.1 sound through the emby desktop app. But it keeps reverting to stereo in windows and then so does the emby app.

My question, is there a setting in emby app that will override the speaker setup in windows and just output 5.1 all the time ?

(in emby app tried auto for sound and 5.1 but still reverts to stereo in windows)

pwhodges

Sounds as if Windows 11 doesn't hold on to the 5.1 setting; maybe it loses it if the other devices are off for a while? 

I can't run Windows 11, so I can't help practically, though.

Paul

MALLINDER

Sorry should have been more clear, more of a question really, Does the emby windows sound app control the sound settings (stereo / 5.1) or does the emby desktop app take priority ?

(I know its a windows problem because when I go into sound windows has changed 5.1 sound to stereo)

pwhodges

Emby just sees Windows audio as a device, and uses the facilities that Windows says it has.  If Windows tells Emby it has stereo capability, it makes no sense for Emby to expect it to output 5.1.

Paul

MALLINDER

Yep thats the problem, it is a bug in windows 11, 5.1 reverting to stereo. But when windows does it emby follows. Was hoping there was a way there was a way emby could over ride / ignore windows sound settings. Gets a bit annoying every day to go into windows and select 5.1 instead of stereo.

jaycedk

Have you tried updating your sound card drivers, form the vendors website.

They might even have a forum, where they discuss windows 11 drivers.

MALLINDER

Easy to replicate problem,  not drivers, motherboard etc. Seems im having the same problem as other windows 11 user, when it powers something down like sound it defaults to stereo. Some players / apps ignore this and still output 5.1. Not looking to the solve the problem was trying to find out if emby windows desktop app can over ride these settings.

Lots of people already working on registry changes to keep audio awake

7 hours ago, MALLINDER said:

Sorry should have been more clear, more of a question really, Does the emby windows sound app control the sound settings (stereo / 5.1) or does the emby desktop app take priority ?

(I know its a windows problem because when I go into sound windows has changed 5.1 sound to stereo)

What version of the Emby windows app do you have?

To answer the question, you should configure your audio appropriately both in windows and in the emby app. We'll try to reproduce this. Thanks.

MALLINDER

Not a problem with emby its a well known windows 11 bug. Just wanted to know if emby can override windows sound settings. If emby always respects windows sound settings then I will need to find a fix for the windows bug.

So can you make it easy for me and just answer if emby desktop app (no matter what we have in sound settings) will do what is in windows sound settings.

MALLINDER

Thank you for reply, im not making my question clear

Windows is set to 5.1

emby set to 5.1

windows bug, after a while windows setting reverts to stereo (known bug)

Question

Is there a setting in emby desktop app (windows) that over rides the windows setting ? or does emby always do what windows sound setting says (stereo) ?

Normally the option in Emby will override, but it looks like the Windows bug is impacting our app as well.

MALLINDER

Not a problem, if thats the case will wait for bug to be fixed. Thanks for the answer

Please note the windows bug doesn't effect everyone, mostly people that connect to AVR for their sound