User access/privileges using web?? how to limit!!

aziz
Go to solution Solved by Spaceboy,

Hi,

I am a MB2.6.2 user in the process of evaluating migration to the all new MB3.....

In MB3, you have the option to enable MB clients across the web (which is the default), and hence make MB3 global, which is fantastic feature, that I am sure comes with risks (of opening yourself to the web) :wacko: .  Is my assumption correct here??

Question: in the case of using shared clients (like living room TV), the user account will have no password, and therefore, it leaves it open to anyone on the world wide web to use and access your server.  Is there a way to stop this from happening?? or is the solution not to use this feature of the MB Server, and stop the firewall from allowing access on that particular port from the web.? 

Since I have installed the server few days ago, I started receiving spam mail with my MB3 user names on my Hotmail account on that PC. (this could be a coincidence, but I don't believe in coincidences :)....   Question:  Is there a firewall procedure or Do's and Don'ts list to ensure you are not exposed to all the bad people out there with nothing better to do than try to steal your data??

keep up the good work, and thanks.  

• Solution
Spaceboy

Set all users to have passwords and then use the feature to auto login certain users. Also passwords can be turned off while the client Iain the local network, dig into the security settings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Thanks Spaceboy....  it worked like a charm..... 

I am almost certain that the spam is related to the Media Browser Server, as the spam content (and for the first time in my life) addressed me as "Dear Website Owner "Private"..... etc etc - translated from Arabic language ".  Private is the admin profile of my Media Browser Server :D  :D :D ...  I do have a firewall.   It would be great if anyone has a do's and don'ts for firewall if you choose to open up to the www.   for the time being, I will block all internet traffic for that PC..