Email notifications not working

upssnowman

upssnowman

I have a paid email service I have so it's not a Gmail account. I've attempted to set this up via the Email notification plugin. It fails when sending a test message and for an actual event. My settings, mail servers, etc are perfectly fine because they work with Thunderbird on my desktop and my email app on my iPhone. So it's just Emby that won't work in regards to the email notification plugin.

Any suggestions on what I may be missing?

I do see the following in my logs:

2021-10-17 13:04:40.679 Error App: Error sending email: System.Net.Mail.SmtpException: Syntax error, command unrecognized. The server response was:
   at System.Net.Mail.SmtpConnection.ConnectAndHandshakeAsyncResult.End(IAsyncResult result)
   at System.Net.Mail.SmtpTransport.EndGetConnection(IAsyncResult result)
   at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.ConnectCallback(IAsyncResult result)

Not sure how there could be a syntax error considering, I am just filling out the plugin information.

HI, the issue is the plugin is using an outdated technique to send the emails, and as a result it does not support some modern protocols used by newer email servers. It still supports most email servers, but will need to be reworked to send using a different mechanism.

• 4 months later...
Jarkkoooo

Hello!

Are there any recommendations? What email service will work with that outdated plugin?

Will the plugin be updated at some point?

Is there any other method to get notifications from the emby server?

Thank you.

GrimReaper
10 minutes ago, Jarkkoooo said:

Is there any other method to get notifications from the emby server?

Number of them listed in Plugin Catalogue. In addition to Notifiarr, which rulez them all.

521255723_Screenshot2022-03-11103906.thumb.png.9b8550aea4fd7ddcc0696fdfc150c621.png

Jarkkoooo

Thank you @GrimReaper

I was hoping that there is any email service that still works with the email-notification plugin.

If I understand correctly notifiarr is a web service triggered by webhooks and needs registration as well as an app on the phone? Am I correct?

GrimReaper
Just now, Jarkkoooo said:

If I understand correctly notifiarr is a web service triggered by webhooks and needs registration as well as an app on the phone? Am I correct?

Yep, and it sends notifications over Discord, no proprietary app.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
RonB26

I've got the same issue as the OP. Should I assume that the syntax error issue has not been fixed?

6 hours ago, RonB26 said:

I've got the same issue as the OP. Should I assume that the syntax error issue has not been fixed?

Hi there, can you please describe the issue that you’re having? Thanks.

RonB26

Hi Luke,

Thanks for the reply.

I've got my own email server that is set up correctly (I use it for other notification emails with no issues).

When trying a test message, the spinning circle will take 3-5minutes before I get the message "errorsendingwebook"
This is a log snippet with the error. If you need a complete log, let me know.

System.Net.Mail.SmtpException: System.Net.Mail.SmtpException: Syntax error, command unrecognized. The server response was:
at System.Net.Mail.SmtpConnection.ConnectAndHandshakeAsyncResult.End(IAsyncResult result)
at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.ConnectCallback(IAsyncResult result)
--- End of stack trace from previous location ---
at MediaBrowser.Plugins.SmtpNotifications.Notifier.SendNotification(InternalNotificationRequest request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceController.GetTaskResult(Task task)
at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceHandler.ProcessRequestAsync(HttpListenerHost httpHost, IServerApplicationHost appHost, IRequest httpReq, IResponse httpRes, RestPath restPath, String responseContentType, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.HttpListenerHost.RequestHandler(IRequest httpReq, ReadOnlyMemory`1 urlString, ReadOnlyMemory`1 localPath, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
Source: System.Private.CoreLib
TargetSite: Void Throw()

Thanks,
Ron

rbjtech

I have this setup using port 587 (tick use TLS/SSL) and don't have any issues sending a secure email notification.

I have not tested (nor plan to) port 25 - SMTP - but would not recommend that anyway as it's not encrypted, some email services may even reject the request.

Port 465 is not supported.

System Logging could definately be improved though - as all you get (on a debug log) is a GET log from the 'Server' log class with the term 'Notifications' in it - a seperate 'Notification' Log Class should be made for all Notifications imo.   @softworkz

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

RonB26
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

I have this setup using port 587 (tick use TLS/SSL) and don't have any issues sending a secure email notification.

I have not tested (nor plan to) port 25 - SMTP - but would not recommend that anyway as it's not encrypted, some email services may even reject the request.

System Logging could definately be improved though - as all you get (on a debug log) is a GET log from the 'Server' log class with the term 'Notifications' in it - a seperate 'Notification' Log Class should be made for all Notifications imo.   @softworkz

Well this explains it. My provider uses port 465. Bummer.

Thanks for letting me know rbjtech.

RonB26

Well, just for the heck of it I tried using Port 587 and it works. I guess my provider uses both.

Thanks again rbjtech!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rbjtech said:

This is something for @Luketo comment on. 

Thanks