Recommended 4k drive for extraction

matsonjr

matsonjr

Does anyone have a recommended 4k drive to use for extracting their 4k discs?  There seems to be a lot of mixed reviews out there of what works and what doesn't.

Thanks-

jachin99

Whichever drive you choose make sure you understand the correct firmware version you need.  The wrong update can ruin your drives ability to rip discs.  You also may not be able to rip and view encrypted discs on the same firmware but I'm not sure.

muzicman0

I have the BW-16D1HT, in a USB3 enclosure.  Works great.  Firmware version 3.10.  If I recall, I had to downgrade it, which was a pain, but I managed to get it done.

• 1 year later...
all4dom

I know I'm late to the show but can someone point me in the right direction on what UHD internal pc player should i purchase. 

Thanks

• 8 months later...
all4dom

@Deathsquirrelwhere could I get yhe software to make teh drive work with uhd. I'm gonna double check to see what I have home works but if not I was gonna buy this.

Spaceboy

there's plenty recommened here.

for software, you just want makemkv - and their forums might also be a good source of info on compatible rives

all4dom

@SpaceboyI was looking up some ofvthe models & i keep foregtting but i have to check my drive at home to see if i can do 4k with that. What confuses me ia if i have ro roll back the firmware. Thank you for responding.

all4dom

I have a hl-dt-st-bd-re bho8ls20

Could this do 4k? Hopefully @Spaceboyyou might have an idea or someone else. Thanks for help you can provide.

Dom

all4dom

I'm gonna do that. I was reading some of the post on the makemkv forum but they all mostly talk about a pioneer drive & a hacked firmware. So I'm gonna buy one of the drives posted here, a 4k disc & I'll try my drive out first & take it from there. I'm hoping my drive works to save me a few bucks but doubtfull.