Getting rid of FlexRaid

Nate8727
Go to solution Solved by Nate8727,

Nate8727

So I've been using FlexRaid for a couple of years now, and it's been giving me a lot of problems when accessing the storage pool.  It's been causing problems regardless of the OS.

I decided to just cut out the middle man and get rid of it altogether.  That leaves me with a couple of questions.

I added each drive individually to the default media library where each instance of Movies or TV Shows was located.  FlexRaid puts the files spread across multiple drives.

This is just one instance:

//D:/Movies/The Avengers (2012)/The Avengers (2012).mp4

//E:/Movies/The Avengers (2012)/folder.jpg

//E:/Movies/The Avengers (2012)/movie.xml

//F:/Movies/The Avengers (2012)/backdrop1.jpg

Every folder is different for Movies and TV Shows.  Some have most of the files for that show or movie, and others just have one file on each drive.  TV Shows could contain a few episodes, or it could have the whole season.  It's completely random, and an organizational nightmare.

1. Despite MB3 scanning right now (around 60% currently), is that type of file structure going to mess everything up when I go to my media?

2. Am I going to have to clean up all of the mess that FlexRaid did by consolidating each TV Show or Movie into its own folder so it's on 1 drive and not spanned on multiple?

Thanks for any advice.

Yeah, that's gonna be tough to re-consolidate everything.  Not sure if there is any kind of tool that can do that.

What are the problems you were having?  I switched to FR earlier this year and have been very happy with it.

Nate8727

It kept disconnecting, which made watching anything impossible.  I've tried the FlexRaid support forum,posted logs, etc..

I've tried it with Windows 7, Windows 8, OS X (Current Setup), but each instance was the same issue.  It's not the hardware or the OS, so that leaves FlexRaid and some kind of bug they haven't fixed.

I just looked at the Media Collection and its a big mess.  I'll just have to fix it one thing at a time.

Thanks.

• Solution
Nate8727

I found a fairly simple way to fix everything. I used directory opus and found the size of each folder on each drive.

From there I just sorted them all by size and deleted any folder below 10MB. MB will just download anything missing.

Problem solved.

• Like 1

swhitmore

Are you sure your problems weren't related to a faulty drive? I had similar issues with FlexRAID, but eventually figured out it was a faulty hard drive. It has been working beautifully for about 2 years straight.

Starkadius

I thought that by uninstalling FlexRAID you could continue using your drives as normal. Is there no way to make FlexRAID copy the movies (folder.jpg, backdrop.jpg, movie.xml, movie, trailers etc) in their entirety in one drive versus being spread across multiple drives? I have been considering using FlexRaid for a while now but after seeing this topic I am not sure anymore.

swhitmore

I thought that by uninstalling FlexRAID you could continue using your drives as normal. Is there no way to make FlexRAID copy the movies (folder.jpg, backdrop.jpg, movie.xml, movie, trailers etc) in their entirety in one drive versus being spread across multiple drives? I have been considering using FlexRaid for a while now but after seeing this topic I am not sure anymore.

Yup, there is an option is storage pool mode to fill the drives by folder, not by size left on the disk. I'll grab a screenshot for you.

A5luUqP.png

Edited by swhitmore
  • Like 1

Mfusick

You can repool- and recopy things to reconsolidate them ... that's usually easiest.

I mean-  if you have pooling on everything on your array shows as in one folder but in reality the files you might have added later on or edited might be on different hard drives-    just copy and paste the movie folder and it will automatically consolidated it all into the same folder on the same hard drive.

Same if you copy it to another hard drive,  including external.    I did this for some before I figured all that out.   I like everything in the same folder and HDD.  

Nate8727

Everything is working perfect now since FlexRaid is gone.  I was having issues playing movies at first, but that's because I had a movie in another movies' folder.  It didn't like that too well.  I also had multiple instances of tv show folders in different drives.  They actually had episodes in them, so after I consolidated them all, it scanned and fixed everything.

After deleting all of the small folders, MB3 had to refetch a lot of missing metadata.  It took a while, but it's great now.