Musicbrainz ID Not Reflecting Corresponding Metadata

rickster53

rickster53

I have seen a couple of cases now with MB Server V3.0.5031.21343 where the Musicbrainz Id does not have the corresponding metadata associated to that id.  In this example for artist Brandy, the artist.xml file contains the correct Musicbrainz id, but the Overview metadata indicates multiple artists have this name.  Doing a Refresh with Force Refresh checked, does not change the Overview information.  If you hit the right arrow button next to the Musicbrainz id, it takes you to the correct artist and there is correct metadata associated with that id.

525aa9976fde5_BrandyMetadata.jpg

If also come a cross a case where changing an incorrect Musicbrainz id, saving the metadata and hitting Refresh also does not result in correct metadata being refreshed.  My expectation was that music metadata in this release was based upon the musicbrainz id.  Is that correct?

rickster53

I had assumed that the last MB3 release was now obtaining metadata from musicbrainz when a musicbrainzid was available/provided.  But, per your response, the source is still last.fm?  I assume you see the ambiguity in having a unique id to identify an artist, but ambiguous metadata that says we're not sure which artist you are referring to?  Is the musicbrainz id used for anything by MB3 or is it purely for informational purposes? 

we've been over this a million times. yes we'd like to run all requests through music brainz but they impose severe limitations on the number of requests that can be made. so we use last fm. you want it improved go talk to music brainz.

steve1977

Agree that the MB folks are a bit tricky, so great to see that you have another solution. Besides last.fm are you also scraping from theaudiodb.com. The folks there are very open. The site has a great API and can be scraped via MBID codes.

Just as a point of order and clarity - we don't "scrape" anything.  We only use published and open APIs to retrieve our data.

Just wanted to be sure that was clear.  I know people use the term "scraping" to mean any form of data gathering, but it isn't that.  Scraping is a very specific (covert) technique for obtaining data from a web page and we don't do that.

rickster53

we've been over this a million times. yes we'd like to run all requests through music brainz but they impose severe limitations on the number of requests that can be made. so we use last fm. you want it improved go talk to music brainz.

Luke, I am sorry for posing a question that I had asked a while ago, but I suppose I misunderstood how the latest release was using the musicbrainz id.  Your last comment/remark is somewhat surprising and not typical of the excellent support that you and others have always provided and which is a major reason I support and use MB3.   :)