Theater Desktop Installation Failure

WhackOBill

WhackOBill

I'm trying to install Theater Desktop on my server machine that is hooked directly to my TV and runs Windows Media Center.  I run Theater Desktop on another Win10 machine in the house so I'm somewhat used to it's quirks.  I'm trying to move away from WMC but the player in Theater is atrocious compared to WMC.  Nonetheless, I'm willing to try it out.

So my first roadblock is that the package from Emby.media won't install.  I get the following error dialog and log file.  Any thoughts?  WMC is a local administrator on this win7 machine.

install.log

EmbyTheaterInstallError.png.bc31425aac17ec13d73b1119a54be022.png

WhackOBill

I checked and there are 2 failed updates in the list.  I'll research those and see if I can get them installed.

WhackOBill

I finally got it to install, but it acts strangely.  I did end up loading .NET 4.8 but I'm not sure if that was the solution as I loaded about 12 other updates as well and cleaned up some space.  There was a program fault during installation but it seemed to load and run on the machine.

When I run it, it comes up.  When I go to play something or move into some of the menu sections the screen briefly goes back to the desktop and then the appropriate Theater screen comes up.  This is when I've got it expanded to full screen.

However, when I try to play something I get the spinning wheel of death.  The interface is locked so I have to ctrl-alt-del to get to the task manager so I can kill it.  I have to do this occasionally on my other machine running Theater as well not that's not a surprise.  I just figured I would get one play out of it ... but no.

I'll work on it more later.  My family wants to watch TV so they jumped back into Windows Media Center and use Emby from there.