DRM (cablecard recordings) playback on other machines possible?

Phone Guy

Phone Guy

I have 4 media center pc's in my local network in my house, 1 main (server) in the livingroom and 3 clients in each bedroom. they are all full computers all running wmc7 and mediabrowser 3, servers and clients respectively.

This set up has served us well, we basically keep all the recorded tv, rips, movies, etc on the livingroom pc and share on the lan with the bedroom pcs.... works great.

recently got a cablecard tuner...........not so great... can only playback stuff recorded with the cablecard on the livingroom pc, when we try on the bedroom pcs we are greeted with a message about DRM.

i heard xbox 360 as extenders can playback drm recorded stuff, but its taken me a long time to get this setup this way..... can mediabrowser act an extender? or is there a way to stream the cablecard content from the server pc to the client pcs in the bedrooms????????

Only Xbox360 or ceton echo (possibly old Linksys extenders) though I use and recommend xbox360. I use one PC with WMC and have 3 xbox360s connected so I can view any material from WMC

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

AgileHumor

your pretty limited on cablecard except using 360 as extenders.  Mediabrowser does work on extenders but is a little slow and needs a simple theme to keep the graphics down.

Cablecard restrictions is why most media center philes end up ripping movies and TV so it's portable.

Deihmos

That's how it works. Microsoft had a hard time getting the cable companies to play ball, probably one reason why they abandoned WMC. Either way this has never bothered me because I don't care too much about TV and barely ever record anything.

I wouldn't recommend an Xbox 360 either. It is very slow and a horrible experience.

Beardyname

I have 4 media center pc's in my local network in my house, 1 main (server) in the livingroom and 3 clients in each bedroom. they are all full computers all running wmc7 and mediabrowser 3, servers and clients respectively.

Did i read this correctly? totally off-topic but it sounded like you are running 1+3 servers and 3 clients :)

Phone Guy

Did i read this correctly? totally off-topic but it sounded like you are running 1+3 servers and 3 clients :)

1 main media center pc (server) in the living room, and 3 bedroom pc's (clients).... yes.   In all fairness its taken me years to get my network setup like this... I started with a single media center years and years ago... now it looks like I need to make a step backwards to use xboxes.......................................... :(

can they be transcoded to the clients using mediabrowser???? or its xbox/extenders and thats it.....

1 main media center pc (server) in the living room, and 3 bedroom pc's (clients).... yes.   In all fairness its taken me years to get my network setup like this... I started with a single media center years and years ago... now it looks like I need to make a step backwards to use xboxes.......................................... :(

can they be transcoded to the clients using mediabrowser???? or its xbox/extenders and thats it.....

His point was that you should only need to run the server on one machine - not all the clients.

fantaxp7

I'm not sure, but possibly the Android TV. It has DRM and Playready. Hopefully it'll come out soon and we'll know more.

Edit: I remember there was a utility out there that is pretty complex but will transcode and move a recording for you automatically. I think it is MCEbuddy.

Edited by fantaxp7
  • Like 1

Phone Guy

His point was that you should only need to run the server on one machine - not all the clients.

And with no client to see what the server is sharing? How exactly would I watch (stream) anything from the living room, in my bedroom? ?

Am I missing something?

Edit: re-read, the server is only running in the living room (one time), the bedroom pc's are running the client only inside wmc (media browser classic). So only 1 server, and 3 clients, 4 total computers.

Edited by Phone Guy

Phone Guy

I'm not sure, but possibly the Android TV. It has DRM and Playready. Hopefully it'll come out soon and we'll know more.

Which android tv? From who?

Also, that's one reason I wanted each tv with its own pc. What I thought would be complete flexible freedom. To read that an extended can do something another entire pc can not is kind of shocking.

Edit: I remember there was a utility out there that is pretty complex but will transcode and move a recording for you automatically. I think it is MCEbuddy.

Okay, from your first post it looked like you had 3 servers and we just wanted to clarify that wasn't the case.

Android TV is a brand new platform from Google.  It was just announced and is not anywhere yet.  But it will likely be everywhere eventually.

fantaxp7

Looks like your question was within my quote.

Android TV isn't one of the many crappy small devices being sold (though some are probably good I don't have any experience with them). There is another thread here in the general discussion about Android TV, it has a video with the announcement that shows it will have DRM and Playready support. I will certainly be buying one.

Which android tv? From who?

Also, that's one reason I wanted each tv with its own pc. What I thought would be complete flexible freedom. To read that an extended can do something another entire pc can not is kind of shocking.

fantaxp7

Okay, from your first post it looked like you had 3 servers and we just wanted to clarify that wasn't the case.

Android TV is a brand new platform from Google.  It was just announced and is not anywhere yet.  But it will likely be everywhere eventually.

Yep, not sure if this is based off of the same new device/software or just another android based smart system: http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2014/09/08/first-android-tvs-launch-spotify-connect-and-onlive-gaming-already-on-board/

Phone Guy

Ok, I know I've seen dozens of "android tv" boxes, but your saying it's a different operating system.... well if it works.....great.

Still hard for me to accept what I want to do can't be done with what I already have.

fantaxp7

Actually looking over your post again I think you should be able to do this. In fact I think I have done it before myself.

Have you run through the WMC setup for the cable card tuner on all of your HTPC's? I ask because the setup usually verifies the machine to be able to play copy right material.

fantaxp7

DRM material can only be played on the machine it was recorded on or a extender.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Your are right...I had discovered recently my tv signal to be DRM free after thinking it was DRM. So I thought I was doing this but I am not.

Sorry, my mistake.

salphonso

I am new to mediabrowser, hence this is my first post, but if you use MCEBuddy to convert recording automatically, would those converted recording be playable on other devices or is the drm still on it?

fantaxp7

I am new to mediabrowser, hence this is my first post, but if you use MCEBuddy to convert recording automatically, would those converted recording be playable on other devices or is the drm still on it?

I believe so, it can convert to a lot of file types...for example I've never come across a MKV with DRM...Anyways check out the site. I personally gave up on configuring it as I don't record a lot of live tv anymore.

https://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/

LeftForPlex

Who is your provider?

I know with FIOS I can still copy/moveplayback recordings on different hosts as FIOS does not set the DRM restrictions yet at this point.

LeftForPlex

Who is your provider?

I know with FIOS I can still copy/moveplayback recordings on different hosts as FIOS does not set the DRM restrictions yet at this point.

fantaxp7

Who is your provider?

Comcast currently though previously I had FiOS.

I was under the impression for a number of years that I had DRM because so many others have reported issues with those providers, even online in my general area.

Not sure why I'm so lucky :)