MB3 server Norton SONAR security risk

Neowatch

Neowatch

Hi, I have installed setup.exe for Server on Windows(64 bit) download a month ago and have no problems.

I have to back up the Windows 7 and reinstall setup.exe for Server.

But I ran into probems that Norton pick up a MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe as a virus and restart the computer.

I have rescan the whole drive C: and D: and contain no virus. When I downloaded setup.exe Norton stated that it is cleaned and safe to use.

I presumed that Mbserver.zip contain a virus or not, I found that in the log.

It started right after the extraction that the SONAR message came up on the bottom right corner.

It has keep repeating the same thing again over and over reinstalling the setup.exe

I have attached 3 files to this message, server-install.log, pictures of virus1.jpg and virus2.jpg.

Any comment to solve this?

Greg

server-install.log

post-5474-0-54746000-1409946620_thumb.jpg

post-5474-0-76300800-1409946622_thumb.jpg

Here is the link to report this program to Norton.  I'd think a developer here would get a quicker response than a user.  I too am running into this and its very annoying every time a new version is released have to go through an extensive process to block Norton from auto quarantine MBS.

https://submit.symantec.com/false_positive/standard/

I also am reporting this as a user.  Hopefully with a developer/owner of MB will report this as a company so that we can get this fixed once and for all. :)

does norton provide any additional information? ideally we would like to resolve this. can someone do some testing to narrow it down? 

Norton sucks.. I don't know why people pay to have it.

Thats not very helpful.

On a side note: Success!!!

Here is the response for submitting all the required information on the link I posted earlier.

"Upon further analysis and investigation we have verified your submission and, as such, the detection(s) for the following file(s) will be removed from our products:

501E49F0EF5BB144F4B593427A46B5A0 - MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe

The updated detection(s) will be distributed in the next set of virus definitions, available via LiveUpdate or from our website at http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/defs.download.html"

• Like 1

Spaceboy

It's actually a very fair point though. The free and unobtrusive av software is completely on a par with the paid offerings, so there really is no point in norton for the home user these days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It's actually a very fair point though. The free and unobtrusive av software is completely on a par with the paid offerings, so there really is no point in norton for the home user these days

However some of us aren't just home users and use MBS in a corporate environment where the antivirus choice isn't under their control.  Besides just do a search for Norton on the forums here.  There are several posts related to the problem.  I even saw the same problem for some other free AV here on the forums.  Discounting someone's choice of AV because its not your prefered one is not helping the user who has to use/chooses to use that software.

unfortunately the response you sent me is generic and not going to help pinpoint anything. we'll have to keep digging.

What other information are you looking for?  I can send you the exact information I sent to Norton if you'd like.  The type of virus its flagging the server after the install is complete is SONAR.Heuristic.120

I'll send you the full report via pm since it has some personal information associated with it.

Spaceboy

However some of us aren't just home users and use MBS in a corporate environment where the antivirus choice isn't under their control. Besides just do a search for Norton on the forums here. There are several posts related to the problem. I even saw the same problem for some other free AV here on the forums. Discounting someone's choice of AV because its not your prefered one is not helping the user who has to use/chooses to use that software.

You may be right but there are a LOT of users that buy into macafee and norton telling them they need their products. They don't.

And yes I specifically used the word home user to acknowledge that corporate users may be in a different boat. Although I would question the strength of your corporations IT governance if they use norton but don't prevent users installing non-standard software. Wouldn't happen at my company

unfortunately the response you sent me is generic and not going to help pinpoint anything. we'll have to keep digging.

I thought he got us whitelisted...

Thats not very helpful.

On a side note: Success!!!

Here is the response for submitting all the required information on the link I posted earlier.

"Upon further analysis and investigation we have verified your submission and, as such, the detection(s) for the following file(s) will be removed from our products:

501E49F0EF5BB144F4B593427A46B5A0 - MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe

The updated detection(s) will be distributed in the next set of virus definitions, available via LiveUpdate or from our website at http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/defs.download.html"

Well done!  Thank you for submitting that.

Hi, I am the orignal message that started this.

I have installed setup.exe in VMware Workstation virtual desktop on Windows 7 64 bit that there are no other programs install and have Norton already installed.

I didn't to run into any problems detected by Norton Internet Security, so far that installation was successful.

Something is picking up these problem in my C:\ drive.

Neowatchj