Jump to content

Migrating from Emby Server PC to Synology NAS, what are the steps?


davesurfer
 Share

Go to solution Solved by FrostByte,

Recommended Posts

davesurfer
17 hours ago, FrostByte said:

It's been a few years, but this is how I restored from my old Windows Backups

The pic of the plugin settings below is how mine is setup

From your post above I believe yours should read "/volume1/Emby Server Backups"

Move your old Windows backups to that location

 

You might have to run a scan, but your old Windows Backups should then be listed under "Current Backups"

Then just click on the Backup you want to restore from.

So I've moved the backup folders to /volume1/Backups, then pointed the Emby Backup plugin to that location, I didn't get an error about it being not found, but it didn't show anything under "Current Backups". You said I might have to run a "scan"? Where is this done? Thanks

image.png.41953d562fc10f828e9bc7f81c78d1b9.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Scheduled Task menu.
Probably the very first task at the top of the page.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FrostByte

Click "Scheduled Tasks" and then click the start button next to "scan media library"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

davesurfer
2 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Click "Scheduled Tasks" and then click the start button next to "scan media library"

So I did this, but sorta confused as doesn't this scan media libraries? We're just trying to get the backup plugin to see my backups. Anyways, I did this, then popped back into the Emby Backup and I get this rotating circle. I've restarted Emby server as well:

image.png.068dfada7b26680f9f52a8eba109da3f.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Happy2Play

My guess is permissions for /volume1/Backups but a server log should say.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, davesurfer said:

So I did this, but sorta confused as doesn't this scan media libraries? We're just trying to get the backup plugin to see my backups. Anyways, I did this, then popped back into the Emby Backup and I get this rotating circle. I've restarted Emby server as well:

You don't want the scan media option but the Configuration Backup task option which should be the top option.

Run that one time, then go into the backup plugin and see if your previous backs are available at the bottom of the screen to restore from.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

FrostByte
56 minutes ago, cayars said:

You don't want the scan media option but the Configuration Backup task option which should be the top option.

Run that one time, then go into the backup plugin and see if your previous backs are available at the bottom of the screen to restore from.

Sorry, that was my mistake.  I said to start the wrong task.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

davesurfer

Ok, so that backup task failed. Maybe permissions thing? You'd think the currently signed in user on the NAS would be the user that it's app use for credentials.

 

image.png.89c9180779d2abed505058e2c33d046a.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, davesurfer said:

Ok, so that backup task failed. Maybe permissions thing? You'd think the currently signed in user on the NAS would be the user that it's app use for credentials.

 

image.png.89c9180779d2abed505058e2c33d046a.png

Can you post a server log.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Happy2Play
41 minutes ago, davesurfer said:

Yes you need to adjust permissions

	System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/volume1/Backups' is denied.
	 ---> System.IO.IOException: Permission denied

 

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

davesurfer
4 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Yes you need to adjust permissions

	System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/volume1/Backups' is denied.
	 ---> System.IO.IOException: Permission denied

 

How do I do this? Right now, all the shares I've created on the NAS can be accessed by me and other domain users. How do I assign a domain user for Emby server to authenticate with?

Edited by davesurfer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Solution
FrostByte
7 hours ago, davesurfer said:

How do I do this? Right now, all the shares I've created on the NAS can be accessed by me and other domain users. How do I assign a domain user for Emby server to authenticate with?

Try using the same System internal user "emby" that you did for your media shares

 

backup5.thumb.jpg.17822c7f7a6058fd408150f1fe6da116.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

davesurfer
3 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Try using the same System internal user "emby" that you did for your media shares

 

 

Thanks! That worked! That's what I needed to know. I didn't realize each Synology app created it's own user, it makes sense now! Awesome!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Glad you got that working.

Have you tried a restore yet?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

davesurfer
3 minutes ago, cayars said:

Glad you got that working.

Have you tried a restore yet?

Yep, did the restore, it restarted and it all worked! I changed the library locations to the local "/volume1/.." instead of the network UNC. Seems to work great now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice.  One thing to double check is the library types.
You want to click on the Library menu, then take a look at the libs it setup for you.  Make sure the library type shown under the title is correct.
IE a Movie Library is type Movies, TV Shows is type TV Shows.  You want to make sure it didn't switch to "Mixed Content".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

davesurfer
1 minute ago, cayars said:

Nice.  One thing to double check is the library types.
You want to click on the Library menu, then take a look at the libs it setup for you.  Make sure the library type shown under the title is correct.
IE a Movie Library is type Movies, TV Shows is type TV Shows.  You want to make sure it didn't switch to "Mixed Content".

Thanks, it looks like it set the right library types for the libraries.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Perfect.  Even if it was wrong it can pretty easily be changed but it's best to verify the type.  For some reason the type gets set wrong every once in a while for some people.
Likely on older systems that have been through many major server upgrades.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...