Emby appears to download entire movie at start

mikenorgate

mikenorgate

I just noticed a strange behaviour when attempting to playback a movie on Xbox using Emby Theatre where it sat with the spinning loading icon for ages after pressing play on a movie, after a few minutes of this it then started playing. When checking the logs for my server I can see a lot of network activity for Emby while the loading screen was displayed and then none once the movie started playing (see screenshot) its like it download the entire movie to the Xbox before it would start playback.

Running Emby server version: 4.6.4.0

Attached server logs

Capture.PNG

embyserver (6).txt

mikenorgate

This is all on the local network, my server is not available outside the local network. I don't have an MP4 to test as all my media is converted to H264 MKV, however other movies that are H264 with AC3 audio don't have this same behaviour

OK, the practical answer might be to just remux the file. It might have a missing or corrupted header or seek table and the player isn't reacting to that well. You could use mkvtoolnix to just create a new mkv based on the current one and that will likely repair it.