Limit bitrate to x kbps when transcoding

neik

Hi guys,

it would be nice to have more control on the transcoding options of the users and not only a toogle to enable or disable it alltogether.

Example:
Sometimes when a user of mine is on mobile data and the coverage isn't that great transcoding is needed to keep playback going - so far so good.
The issue is, when they need to transcode then they are most likely trying to watch something on their phones -> no need to transcode from 1080p/10mbit to 1080p/6mbit (just an example).
Exactly here would be nice to have control to which bitrate they are allowed to transcode at max (e.g. 720/2mbits).
This would allow to keep load lower on the server and after all have more control over it.

Hi.  We already have per-user bitrate limits available that do pretty much what you are suggesting as in they limit the bitrate they are allowed.  However, based on how you asked the question, I guess you want it to direct play if possible but only limit the bitrate when transcoding.  I'm not sure that is going to have the effect you are thinking as transcoding to a lower bitrate is not going to take less CPU power I don't believe - not in any significant way anyway.

• Like 2

Happy2Play

In theory only thing affected would be bandwidth as you will use just as many resources to convert the media.

• Like 1