Change fanart.jpg for Existing Show/Move

feerlessleadr

feerlessleadr

I'd like to know if there is a way to change the fanart.jpg image for an existing Show/Movie? 

I am getting errors when I try to use the arrows to change the order of the backdrops (which I assume is the default way to change the fanart.jpg). Although I can access and play all of my media through MB3, as well as add, edit & remove artwork for either new or existing shows, I always get an access denied error when I try to use the arrows to change the order of the backdrops (see attached log file & picture).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2pg9btg4mdn8rnq/server-63545371069.txt?dl=0

I've read on the forums that this is most likely a permissions issue on my Windows 8 machine (either with Windows itself or with Flexraid), however all of my permissions are set correctly, and I can access my files both locally and via smb with no permission problems (through Windows explorer, MB3 other than this problem, XBMC and various other devices/phones). I'm also not running MB3 through a Windows service, which I have read has some side effects with permissions.

Any assistance either to either rectify my permissions issue, or to change the fanart.jpg without using the arrow keys would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

post-2486-0-95163700-1409794140_thumb.png

I just don't have any ideas.  I tested this on my machine (which is also using FlexRaid) and the arrow keys worked fine.

Well, I tested it on my dev box which is Win 7 and it worked.  Just re-tested on my production box which is 8.1 and got the same error as you.

There are more things different about the two than just the OS though and I suspect that is more likely related than the OS version.  My dev box does not have "Save images and metadata in the media folders" checked because it points to the same media as the production box and I don't want them fighting each other.

I suspect this is the real difference as, when I do this on the dev box it is only having to modify local caches where, doing in on the other one means it has to actually rename the files.

Try turning off that option and see if you can make it work and maybe we'll have another clue.

feerlessleadr

I un-checked that setting and restarted both my server and MB3, and it kicks out the same access denied error on pre-existing movies. I deleted and re-added a movie, and voila, I can use the arrows no problem.

of course there is still the underlying problem of not being able to actually rename local files, but hopefully this helps narrow it down a bit.

Happy2Play

I have tested on WHS 2011 and Windows 8.1 and both where able to move image order.  Are you sure you don't need to set substitute path for "V:\Movies"?

feerlessleadr

I've got patch substitution set up (see screenshot below). Do I have path substitution set up wrong possibly?

http://i.imgur.com/byB76VA.png

This also occurs whether I'm on the local server, or on another machine either inside or outside my network.

Happy2Play

It looks correct but your first image is not using path substitution.  Have you tried using UNC in your folders tab and remove?

feerlessleadr

You mean deleting and re-add in the sources using UNC paths?

I'll give that a shot when I get home. Would I have to re-build my xbmc no files as well (assuming this solves my problem)?

feerlessleadr

Just to update - I tried deleting and re-adding my movies source as both the UNC address, and IP address, and both still give me an access denied.

Happy2Play

Looking through your log you are getting denied in a lot of your folders (Movies and TV Shows).

"Access to the path 'V:\TV Shows\Awkward\extrafanart\fanart1.jpg' is denied."

"Access to the path 'V:\Movies\AVP Alien vs. Predator (2004)\fanart.jpg' is denied."

It looks to me there is a permissions issue between your shares and MBS.

Do you have UAC enabled on the server?

Ive run into similar problems when i tried to update images through the webclient which have been created by another computer or program.

Uploading images through the webclient which didn't exist before i can modify and delete with no problems.

feerlessleadr

Looking through your log you are getting denied in a lot of your folders (Movies and TV Shows).

"Access to the path 'V:\TV Shows\Awkward\extrafanart\fanart1.jpg' is denied."

"Access to the path 'V:\Movies\AVP Alien vs. Predator (2004)\fanart.jpg' is denied."

It looks to me there is a permissions issue between your shares and MBS.

Yea, That was me trying to change the fanart of a number of different shows/movies at the same time to see if that was the problem. I figured that was the case  well, but after much searching and experimenting, I cannot figure out what permissions I have wrong. Like i stated above, my share permissions are set to allow full control to everyone on my computer via the Windows File Dialog. In Flexraid, my shares are set to allow everyone full access. In terms of the local file access, I've granted everyone full permissions, and have replaced all of the file child-file/folder permissions with the top level permissions (see screenshot for permissions on the Movies folder):

http://i.imgur.com/D1hP6ve.png

I'm truly at a loss at what else I could change for permissions.

Do you have UAC enabled on the server?

Ive run into similar problems when i tried to update images through the webclient which have been created by another computer or program.

Uploading images through the webclient which didn't exist before i can modify and delete with no problems.

UAC is completely disabled (via regedit), since Flexraid and Windows 8 don't play nice (or at least didn't when I set up the server) when UAC is disabled. I've tried this on new movies scrapped by MB3, as well as for images that were scrapped by previous programs. I haven't tried it on images that I've added to the movie folders manually (mostly since I really don't have any).

Edited by feerlessleadr

Deathsquirrel

Most likely the files got set to read only, I've seen that happen on my system.  Delete them in Windows then pop into the MBS UI and you should be able to add the pics without issue if that's what it is.

If that's not it then it's likely permissions on the folder which is more of a PITA.  You'll need to set permissions on the folder that holds all your movies.  Right click that folder>select properties>click the Security tab>click Advanced>double click the user account tied to your MBS process (see below)>Select Allow in the Type box and 'This folder, subfolders and files' in the Applies to box>check Full Control>Click OK>click OK again.

If you are running the MBS as a service the account to grant full rights is the SYSTEM account.  If you're not running the service it will be your user account.

feerlessleadr

I've confirmed the files are not set to read only. I've tested by checking one set of fanart pictures, then jumping into MB3, and trying to move, and I still get access denied. Also, I have no problem deleting any picture/artwork from the system through MB3 (which would not work if the files were read only). I just cannot move any backdrops.

Happy2Play

Can you set up a test folder on Windows 8 and see if you have the same behavior?

Deathsquirrel

Sorry, misread then.  Thought you said you were also having problems overwriting files when downloading replacement image files through MBS.  If you only get the error moving the backdrops using the arrows to change the backdrop load order then that's new to me.

Are you running the server as a service?

feerlessleadr

Can you set up a test folder on Windows 8 and see if you have the same behavior?

Ok, well we may be getting somewhere here. I created a test folder outside of my flexraid array, and the arrows work fine. There has to be a permissions problem with my flexraid pool that I'm just not seeing.

Sorry, misread then.  Thought you said you were also having problems overwriting files when downloading replacement image files through MBS.  If you only get the error moving the backdrops using the arrows to change the backdrop load order then that's new to me.

Are you running the server as a service?

No worries at all. Thanks for the input. I'm not running as a service, I'm running through my user account.

Deathsquirrel

Try switching to running as a service & see if you have the same problem.  It will be run under a different account so if it's rights related that will likely work which can help you narrow down the issue.

feerlessleadr

Still getting the same error when I switch over to using the service.

It must be something related to my flexraid pool, since the test movie I have outside the pool works as expected.

Deathsquirrel

Still getting the same error when I switch over to using the service.

It must be something related to my flexraid pool, since the test movie I have outside the pool works as expected.

Sounds reasonable but as I'm not a user of that product I'm afraid that's where my expertise ends.  You might try changing the service to run as the Network System account instead of System.  System is for local objects only so Network System may work better...or have no effect at all depending on the cause.

I think this is related to Win 8.1 and FlexRaid as I can cause the same behavior on my production box (8.1) but not on my dev box (7) with the exact same files.