Some questions / thoughts on TV show scraping

steve1977

steve1977

Just tried out to scrape a few TV series. Have two questions / observations:

1) Why are the JPG and XML files created in the "metadata" folder inside the season folders? This does not allow full scraping for me as XBMC user. The NFO file is being created inside the season folder (and recognized), while the JPG is created inside a separate "metadata" folder. This is both weird looking and also will not work for XBMC users like me.

2) Any chance to add an option to switch language for an individual TV show. I have a very few non-English shows and they are still being scraped in English. Would need an option somewhere in the library to change on TV series level.

Thanks again, this is looking great!

That's the MB convention, however in order to get it to work with xbmc, i've set the poster path inside the nfo, for example:

\\192.168.1.2\Video\TV\An Idiot Abroad\Season 1\metadata\An Idiot Abroad - 1x05 - Egypt.jpg

can you make a separate request about language separation? thanks.

steve1977

That's the MB convention, however in order to get it to work with xbmc, i've set the poster path inside the nfo, for example:

<art>
    <poster>\\192.168.1.2\Video\TV\An Idiot Abroad\Season 1\metadata\An Idiot Abroad - 1x05 - Egypt.jpg</poster>
  </art>

can you make a separate request about language separation? thanks.

Thanks for quick reply. One more Q - most of us will use SB for their TV shows, which also creates metadata automatically. How do you deal with this without getting JPG duplicates for each show?

Will open a separate request on language separation.

• Like 1

steve1977

Quick follow-up. Really curious how Sickbeard users are working with MB Server. SB already nicely adds meta data, but this one is not recognized by MB Server. Is there no workaround? Given how widespread Sickbeard is, I am really wondering how other users deal with it or have any other thoughts.

Steve, the next server release will include an option to save all image files using xbmc naming conventions. in effect xbmc conventions will also become our conventions as we will be able to understand and utilize images using traditional MB conventions, plex & xbmc.

steve1977

Very interesting, thanks for your message. What exactly does this mean and will this be relevant for both tv shows and movies? For example, no more XML required and instead using NFOs?

no we will still have our xml's. but this will be for images for movies, tv and music. it will help new users try us out without having to download new images, and it will help put us on the path of becoming a very attractive xbmc metadata manager.

steve1977

This is great. I don't mind the XMLs too much and nice to keep my "old" posters and fanart. Even more importantly is to allow to keep what Sickbeard does automatically for TV shows. I believe that this would require MBS to de-activate metadata folder and instead store the files in the season folder. Are you saying that this is actually being planned? If so, how do you transition from "old" to "new"? Are you planning to keep both as options? It may easier to just convert to one and given SB is really the standard for TV show users, it may be easiest just to switch to how they do it (plus XML). I am actually surprised that you apparently aren't using SB yourself? What do you think?

no, we are not moving away from our metadata formats. this is only providing an option to decide what image naming convention you want to use.

steve1977

Got it, would this change anything for TV shows? All XBMC/Plex and all SB users will have the TV shows in the season folder. Independent of naming, MBS would not be able to detect them? Am I missing anything?

doesn't change anything. mb3 still needs it's xml file inside the metadata folder. the xmbc plugin can save the nfo for you inside the season folder, and the season/episode images get saved depending on the image saving convention you pick.

steve1977

Not sure whether I completely understand. At least not for TV shows.

My comments are related to your statement: " it will help new users try us out without having to download new images". Is this statement also true for TV shows or only for movies? For TV shows, the episode posters will sit in the season folder for all SB and XBMC users. So, as long as MBS is looking for posters in the metadata folder, it would not be able to read them and thus require to download new images?

I don't have Sickbeard fetch metadata as the MB Server does a good job of it.  That may not be what you want to do but you asked what others do so that's how I handle it.

steve1977

This is actually a helpful answer - I completely forgot that I could actually disable Sickbeard to do so. In this way, I could keep using SB and still use MBS.

Still one thought to leave with you - SB creates somewhat of an "industry standard" for TV shows for most users of HTPCs. It may make it a lot easier to win SB users to start using MBS if this does not require them to re-download all posters. So, why not consider having the posters in the season folders, which would make them immediately usable in MBS for those using SB (i.e., new users to MBS who used to have their metadata created by SB or XBMC or Plex).