Wait requirement when searching through knowledge base

hemsimmons

hemsimmons

Why do I continually get the annoying message that I must wait XX seconds before I can submit another search?   I am just trying to find the most relevant items that may answer my question.  I even get that message when simply going to page 2 of the presented results.  It really makes attempting to make use of existing Q&A a complete pain so I give up well before I normally would and just submit my own question.

Hi, What is the exact message you are getting?

Have you tried using the navigational tree instead of searching?  All articles are broken down into relevant sections.

Mister Steve

I get the error when searching the forums but not the KB.   The KB is good but the forums also hold a large base of knowledge.   A minute is a harsh penalty; it can take a couple of search word refinements to produce relevant results.

annoying.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mister Steve said:

I get the error when searching the forums but not the KB.   The KB is good but the forums also hold a large base of knowledge.   A minute is a harsh penalty; it can take a couple of search word refinements to produce relevant results.

annoying.jpg

@Abobader can look at loosening this up slightly. Thanks.

20 hours ago, hemsimmons said:

Why do I continually get the annoying message that I must wait XX seconds before I can submit another search?   I am just trying to find the most relevant items that may answer my question.  I even get that message when simply going to page 2 of the presented results.  It really makes attempting to make use of existing Q&A a complete pain so I give up well before I normally would and just submit my own question.

@hemsimmons can you please tell us the exact message and/or show a screenshot? Thanks !

• 2 weeks later...
hemsimmons

Thanks -- it does seem better today -- have only gotten the message twice with just 2-4 seconds to wait.  I still don't totally understand the purpose but I appreciate the improvement.

1 hour ago, hemsimmons said:

I still don't totally understand the purpose

Searches - especially some really broad ones - are probably the most resource-intensive operation the forum can undertake.  If there were not some sort of limit like this, it would be possible for someone to write a program to easily bring our forum (and maybe even the server it is running on) to its knees.  This is known as a DoS (Denial of Service) attack.