No fanart (background) images

rodainas
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

rodainas

I use a remote server, one problem with the androidtv/firetv app, is that it wont load the fanart, thumbs (as background images), sometimes it loads one or two and thats all, on the these client, I think the problem is that the timeout for loading the images it too low.

The images loads perfectly on all other apps, emby for ios, emby android mobile, emby samsung tv, emby theater, emby web, kodi embycon/embynext gen.

Could you turn up the timeout setting for image loading on emby for androidtv/firetv app, or maybe using the same timeout amount as the other clients?

B8A187AE-790E-427E-9C10-3BD508EED83B.jpeg

08B5ED0B-2557-47AC-9F47-5A6BE9B64313.jpeg

• Like 1

rodainas
38 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  The image loads are timing out.  Are you on an extremely slow connection?

No, my connection is 250mbit and I can stream 4k files with no buffer interruption from my server, the app is just too strict/intolerant with the timeout limit for loading images on a remote server with certain latency.

The problem is the timeout limit on the android/firetv app, the limit is too low.

I know this because all the images loads correctly on all the other apps I mentioned (emby for ios, emby android mobile, emby samsung tv, emby theater, emby web, kodi embycon/embynext gen).

You can try the exercise I suggested, compare the timeout limit on androidtv/fire app with any of the other apps I mentioned, those app should have a higher timeout limit.

Edited by rodainas

rodainas
1 hour ago, Luke said:

@rodainas can you please attach the emby server log as well? Is the connection over https?

Thanks

Yes its over https.

I will attach it as soon as I reproduce the problem.

rodainas

@Luke

As I was going to reproduce, the app is now  showing all the fanart background images, that’s good news, but it is confusing because nor the apps nor the server was updated.

Perhaps it was taking a really long time to cache these images on your server...

BTW - we don't specify any specific timeout for the image loads.  The Android image library we use is just using its default there which seems to be reasonable for the majority of situations.

• Thanks 1

rodainas
3 minutes ago, ebr said:

Perhaps it was taking a really long time to cache these images on your server...

BTW - we don't specify any specific timeout for the image loads.  The Android image library we use is just using its default there which seems to be reasonable for the majority of situations.

Thank you ebr for the explanation, it makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...
rodainas

@ebr

@Luke

Problem returned to the client.

Attaching server log.

I navigated through some items and for the majority of fanart I get a 500 response on the firetv client.

And then navigated with the emby for ios (using same wifi connection) all images showed up, response 200, 204.

I repeat this only happens with the firetv/adnroidtv clients. All the other clients shows the images perfectly.

embyserver.txt

You get a 500 where?  I don't see one in your log - except for the smart playlists plug-in.

Probably unrelated, but just to eliminate, can you uninstall smart playlists, dvd folder and bd folder plug-ins?

rodainas
1 hour ago, ebr said:

You get a 500 where?  I don't see one in your log - except for the smart playlists plug-in.

Probably unrelated, but just to eliminate, can you uninstall smart playlists, dvd folder and bd folder plug-ins?

Sure Will do and report back.

500 here, the latest on the log are 200 because after trying the firetv I tried the ios app just to make the contrast between the 2 responses, but here is an example of the 500 one:

2021-09-18 00:33:24.277 Info Server: http/1.1 Response 500 to client. Time: 2435ms. http://server/emby/Items/10870492/Images/Backdrop/0?MaxWidth=1920&Tag=a78c376666edf8512bf606db49fc2fd4&EnableImageEnhancers=true&Accept=webp 2021-09-18 00:34:10.383 Info Server: http/1.1 GET http://server/emby/Items/9165367/Images/Backdrop/0?MaxWidth=1920&Tag=05f1f01f25787bed51f2b85ef3811e70&EnableImageEnhancers=true&Accept=webp. UserAgent: Dalvik/2.1.0 (Linux; U; Android 7.1.2; AFTMM Build/NS6271)

That's pretty strange.  It is returning a 500 but there is no error preceding that (which is why I didn't see them in the log).

rodainas

Ok I uninstalled the plugins, restarted the server.

Same resultts the majority of fanart doesn't load and a couple of landscape posters on the home page.

Checking the logs after that the server is reporting 200 response.

But when cheking the access logs of nginx is reporting error 499 with the fanart that doesn't load up.

186.72.211.21 - - [18/Sep/2021:12:48:21 -0500] "GET /emby/Items/10870247/Images/Backdrop/0?MaxWidth=1920&Tag=208318b844b479b4d7f6f3fbf05b3124&EnableImageEnhancers=true&Accept=webp HTTP/1.1" 499 0 "-" "Dalvik/2.1.0 (Linux; U; Android 7.1.2; AFTMM Build/NS6271)"

About 499 error code: 499 is just an internal server code that indicates that before processing the request and receiving the reply, the client closed the connection.

Attaching the new embyserver log here.

I don't understand is why this only happens with the androidtv/firetv client.

embyserver.txt

3 minutes ago, rodainas said:

I don't understand is why this only happens with the androidtv/firetv client

Well, at this time, it is the only one using that specific Android image loading library but that may or may not be why.

rodainas
35 minutes ago, ebr said:

We'll need Luke's help to determine how the server is throwing a 500 with no further information.

Thank you.

I kept watching the nginx access logs, and with all the other apps it gets 200 response code for the images.

The only one giving the 499 response code (client closed connection) is the androidtv client.