HW Transcoding was working... and now it's not

ctaranto
Go to solution Solved by ctaranto,

ctaranto

Environment:

2021-09-03 09:55:45.041 Info Main: Application path: /usr/lib/emby-server/EmbyServer.dll
2021-09-03 09:55:45.226 Info Main: Emby
    Command line: /usr/lib/emby-server/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/lib/emby -ffdetect /usr/bin/ffdetect-emby -ffmpeg /usr/bin/ffmpeg-emby -ffprobe /usr/bin/ffprobe-emby -restartexitcode 3
    Operating system: Linux version 5.4.142-1-MANJARO (builduser@fv-az47-628) (gcc version 11.1.0 (GCC)) #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Aug 18 08:05:07 UTC 2021
    Framework: .NET Core 3.1.17
    OS/Process: x64/x64
    Runtime: usr/share/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/3.1.17/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
    Processor count: 8
    Data path: /var/lib/emby
    Application path: /usr/lib/emby-server
2021-09-03 09:55:45.258 Info App: Application version: 4.6.4.0

I have an nVidia GTX 1660 Super.  I have read through the Hardware Acceleration docs and have installed the required bits.  This server has been working great, using HW acceleration, for over a year.

I keep the Linux server up to date and is running the latest nVidia drivers (470.63.01).  I have decoded HEVC content to h264 using HW acceleration from the command line using ffmpeg (some drone footage) so the hardware stack works.  I also hardware accelerate ZoneMinder video analysis.

I have looked at the logs (attached) and didn't see anything obvious.  The settings for Transcoding have all the checkmarks ticked for NVENC and NVDEC.  But transcoding of HEVC is always done by the CPU.

Anything in the logs that I'm not seeing that may be causing this?  I have fully updated the system, rebooted, restarted Emby, etc.  I have tried from the Emby App on my phone, Emby App on an nVidia Shield, and through the browser web player.

ffmpeg-transcode-38be8bdd-8019-48d8-8934-7632f850e5dd_1 (1).txt hardware_detection-63766259750.txt embyserver (2).txt

• Solution
ctaranto

After a bit more of fiddling with settings, it appears that now I need to put CUVID on ahead of NVDEC in the H.265 (HEVC) Decoders section.  After that, hardware acceleration appears to work.

Hope this helps others if they are running into the same issue.