What factor determines how long playback will start? 4K HEVC

jang430

jang430

I finally got my Intel NUC Pentium NUC7PJYH working with Quicksync.  To do this, I need to uncheck all VAAPI on Emby server.  Now, it plays them using Quicksync. 

My next question is although it plays, it starts slow.  I have to wait maybe 30 seconds, to 1 minutes, maybe more.  For certain files, it waits until Transcode position reaches 2.5% before it starts playback.  Sometimes, the file is even bigger, but starts as soon as Transcode position is at 1.2%.  Worse is when you drag playback to somewhere of the middle of the file, you have wait over 2 minutes sometimes, or it doesn't start at all.  What can I do to improve this this?

IMG_4294.png.682993f2407d93a653262087ab830b46.png

IMG_4295.png

IMG_4296.jpg

Edited by jang430

jang430

I notice you added smb paths into Emby Server. What you could try instead is mounting the smb paths to a local path using the tools in your host OS, then add the local path into Emby Server. I would try that and see if it performs better. Thanks.

jang430

I see. I am using Linux Mint. My nas is Unraid, and media is being pulled from there. I don't know exactly how yet, but I will search and try this.

• 2 weeks later...

So far, adding SMB paths allow playback of file to start faster.  But when I move the timeline, and jump to the middle of the show, it may take long time, or totally don't start playing altogether, with no more response.  I cannot jump from start of the show, to the middle of the show.  And this is with a 12 GB file, 4K HEVC convert to h264.  

6 hours ago, jang430 said:

So far, adding SMB paths allow playback of file to start faster.  But when I move the timeline, and jump to the middle of the show, it may take long time, or totally don't start playing altogether, with no more response.  I cannot jump from start of the show, to the middle of the show.  And this is with a 12 GB file, 4K HEVC convert to h264.  

What do you mean by adding smb paths? I actually suggested not doing that in my previous posting.

OK keep in mind that after changing your libraries like that, you should wait for the initial library scan to complete.

Hi.  Just got to test this now.  Setting to Yes seems to speed it up a bit.  It's reached the point that it's already acceptable, and not really minutes before starting playback.  I guess the device is so weak, and nothing more can be expected of it.  

Thank you for your help.